EditItemTemplate DropDownList ConnectionString using concatenated AppSettings + ConnectionString RRS feed

• Question

• I have many databases in web.config connectionstring plus I have multiple platforms like UAT system and PRD system.  In the AppSettings I coded:  

<add key="Platform" value="UAT"/>

and in ConnectionStrings I have for example:

<add name="PRD_OAMconnectionString=....

<add name="UAT_OAM" connectionString=....

What I would like to do on an aspx web page code:

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="OAM<br />Service Line" 
                                  ItemStyle-HorizontalAlign="Center"  SortExpression="Service_Line"> 
                   <EditItemTemplate>  
                                   <asp:DropDownList ID="ddlEditService_Lines" runat="server"  
                                                  DataSourceID="sqlEditGet_Service_Lines" 
                                                  AppendDataBoundItems="True"  
                                                  DataTextField="Service_Line" 
                                                  DataValueField="Service_Line_ID"  
                                                  BackColor="LemonChiffon" 
                                                  CssClass="control">  
                                                  <asp:ListItem Text="No Service Line" Value="0"></asp:ListItem>
                                   </asp:DropDownList>
                                  <asp:SqlDataSource ID="sqlEditGet_Service_Lines" runat="server"  
    --- Problem ---->                   ConnectionString="'<%$appSettings: Platform %>'+'_OAM'" 
                                                  SelectCommand="sp_OAM_Get_Service_Lines" 
                                                 SelectCommandType="StoredProcedure"> 
                                  </asp:SqlDataSource>
                   </EditItemTemplate>  
                   <ItemTemplate> <%# Eval("Service_Line")%> </ItemTemplate> 
    </asp:TemplateField>

Prior to building & publishing the code I change the Platform value to swing the code from one system to another before publishing to the system.

Where I’m struggling is with web pages that use SqlDataSource & Connectionstring within the EditItemTemplate.  In all other cases I’ve resolved any issues.  Can this be done?  If not, what about in the code behind?  There I run into the problem of the connection string is not initialized in the OnRowEdit routine.

I’m working with VS 2010 and Net 3.5 using C#.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 11:54 PM

Answers

All replies