none
Windows Performance Diagonsis Events RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

In the performance events (101, 102, 301, 302 etc) how is the dgeradation time worked out? How does Windows work out what amount of time the application/driver/server should start up in?

Thanks,

Mark

Friday, September 16, 2011 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

not sure if I understand your question right, sorry if I'm wrong.

In general I would use the WPT tool xbootmgr.exe first.
    This would allow you to find out "quickly what is the amount of time for all used application, driver etc.
    Because the eventlog provide in my opinion not enough information to make sure what's wrong or not.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Friday, September 16, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Hi Rainer,

Thanks for replying...

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough - I want to see what particular applications/drivers/services etc are slowing down a machines boot up and resume from standby times. This isn't just for one machine but across an organisation. I was hoping by implementing Windows Event Forwarding and capturing the Events 101, 102, 103, 301, 302, 303 etc this would allow me to see what is slowing down a machines performance.

Looking at the event details

This application took longer than usual to start up, resulting in a performance degradation in the system startup process: 
         File Name		:	AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
         Friendly Name		:	MobileDeviceService
         Version		:	17.66.0.47
         Total Time		:	1545ms
         Degradation Time	:	545ms
         Incident Time (UTC)	:	‎2011‎-‎09‎-‎14T06:58:45.718750000Z

My question is more about how does Windows determine the degradation time? Why does Windows think that the application named took longer than it should? Does it look at a set number of start ups, take an average and then anything over that is classed as degradation?

Thanks,

Mark

Saturday, September 17, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi Mark,

My expirions about this: Windows know what time can expect to load / un-load drivers. And in your case the un-load take longer than expected. If you have the feeling that you had performance --> again, if this "feeling" is true please start the WPT and build a trace (etl) for analize reasons.

The explaination for degradation: Windows give at maximum 1000ms for this. And this driver take 545 ms more. And I think this is the reason for this event. 

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:40 PM
  • Hi Rainer,

How does Windows determine that it should give that driver 1000ms? why not 2000ms?

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:05 PM
  • Hi Mark,

A lot drivers take 300-500 ms for load / unload in total.
    I think this is the reason for setting up 1000ms as default...

BTW:
    I do some own experience specially with UMTS / WLAN driver as well.
    My "longest" wait for driver around WLAN was 2 minutes ... :(.

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    • Edited by RPA601SG Monday, September 19, 2011 6:44 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 6:43 PM
  • Hi Rainer,

So is there a list of defaults not only for drivers but also applications and services? For both Boot Time, Resume from Standby and Shutdown?

Thanks,

Mark

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:53 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I don't know if there is "one" official list available.
    What I wrote is based on some own analyze experiences.

The current landing page for developer does not provide them.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/performance/cc709422

But back again to you first question.

I see sometime simular eventlog entries at the advanced diagnostic eventlog.
    And I start to analyze them if I found some additional resource consumption by cpu not Disk IO only.
    Does mean I use this more for my own information to focus on this and analyze them.
    May be I can configure something around this to let it run faster. But not more :).

Best regards

Rainer

RPA
    • Proposed as answer by RPA601SG Tuesday, September 27, 2011 4:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:38 PM