none
Infopath 2010 Export to PDF - Borders fail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Simple question - Is there a way to get InfoPath forms exporting to PDF without disregarding (at random) the borders within the form?

This is an enterprise ready product, and it baffles me as to how something so trivial could have been overlooked?

This is using InfoPath 2010 to export a 2007 developed InfoPath form, in fill mode.  Is anyone aware of a bug on connect that might relate to this?  Or otherwise?

I know there's a workaround, whereby you can increase the border size, which 'reduces' the loss of borders (but instead, it creates a half-sized border on the right, then full sized on the left, and it's all over the place).

Further to this, there's another bug which makes the border lines 'stick out' on either side of the table, instead of being flush around its squared edges.

I don't want to have to purchase an add-on to do the Export.  Surely this is something being addressed?  They may have just lost a very big customer due to something so trivial.

All the best,

M

Matthew Cosier

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Matthew Cosier,

Thank you for posting. 

I will help you involve others to help you. There might be some delay about the response. Appreciate your patience.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Hello Matthew Cosier,

This is an interesting question. InfoPath control's allow for 'borders' and 'shading' adjustments through the ribbon bar.

Select a text box and the ribbon should show 'Properties' and 'Layout' now.

- Go to 'Properties' and then 'Borders'

Here you can adjust object effects.

Some controls offer more options but drop-down boxes do not allow border adjustments.

I recommend creating a separate view for export to PDF actions. Use the export view to adjust display effects.

Here is a link to create views:

- Add, delete, and switch views (pages) in a form

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/add-delete-and-switch-views-pages-in-a-form-HA101732801.aspx?CTT=1

Create a button on the Working view for users, and use the button to switch views and transfer values to the Export view in text boxes.

This will take a little more work, but you'll enjoy the control.

For additional information: 

- InfoPath Help and How to

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/?CTT=97

Hope this helps

Regards, Aaron Suoja - Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, April 20, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I could be wrong, but by the fact I'm asking a question about why the borders are failing (randomly to the right of a table, in different places, at different preview times), might suggest I know how to apply a border :) (even to a text box, which is not what I am asking at all - where did I imply I was applying a border to a text box?? Sorry but I'm So confused right now. :)).

I understand that creating a seperate view for PDF actions would be ideal, but if there is only ever going to be one page, and the data is only ever going to live in one format, creating a view is essentially wasteful.  I know that you can remove the borders on text boxes, and there exists no drop down box on the entire form.  So I'm not sure how anything of what you have mentioned is relevent?

All I really want to know, is - does a bug exist, whereby 2007 form templates (opened in 2010), to whom have borders on their tables (inside/outside/wherever/whatever) display randomly as either:

1. Bigger than they should be

2. Inconsistently sized (one is larger than the connecting border line on another edge)

3. Not existent at all for some edges, on some tables.

And all of the above noted happens during print to PDF of a filled out template, and the edges to which each of the above applies, change each time.

Thanks for  your reply.

Matthew Cosier

Sunday, April 22, 2012 10:34 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

There are 3rd party applications that cover this process i
    f you prefer not to transfer your values to textboxes within a second view.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    AmandaRu-MSFT

Microsoft InfoPath | This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Hi,

Infopath 2010

with reference to Matthew i have exactly the same problem, makes infopath documents look very cheap and nasty once printed or pdf'd. Its very bad when you spend days & weeks creating the form and connections, making it look good only to find it looks good on the screen and looks tacky when printed. It is obviously a problem in the infopath program that MS are not willing to rectify (they have my money for it already so why should they bother) it just adds to all the other problems with infopath (icons that don't work, script, picture fileds, note fields) that both I and my clients have experienced and of course we are advising all to look elsewhere for a finished program rather than infopath 2010 "Work in progress". 

If anybody knows of a fininshed program that works for doing the same please let me know.

Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff 3 Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Hi Matthew,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue and of the same opinion regarding the product completeness;-)

Can I ask what you ended up using instead?

Did you buy a 3rd party PDF conversion product or start using Nintex Forms?

Monday, February 18, 2013 5:25 PM
  • Well, here we are over a year later and still no answers.  I am seeing this as well.  I initially encountered in after pasting a table in from a Word document to create print view.  Horizontal and vertical lines in the table were randomly about 2pt, rather than the 1pt that was set.

My initial response was to go back to Word, reformat the table to ensure all borders were set at 1pt, and re-paste into InfoPath.  Same Result.

Next, I completely re-created the table from scratch in InfoPath, formatted borders at 1pt, and printed.  Same result.

Theorizing there was some setting in the view that wasn't being fully overridden with each attempted fix, I cracked open the xsn file and looked at xsl file for my view.  All borders were correctly set at 1pt.

Bottom line, whatever is causing this problem might not be InfoPath per se, but whatever transformation engine is being used to render the forms for printing.  So I'd like to know a) what transformation engine is being used? b) Is there any option to change the engine InfoPath uses? c) Is this engine used in other Microsoft products? d) if so, are they having similar issues; has anyone else identified a fix or work-around?

For now my solution will have to be attempting to create a Word print view.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Good Afternoon,

So I have been working on this issue and seem to have stumbled on a solution.  Under Page Design tab and then page setup, change your left and right margins to .3.  I believe they are default at .75.  You can either create a new view, or you can just set that as your default.  Worked for me.  Thanks.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:16 PM