In a SP discussion board, when creating new discussion I want to change the term "Subject" with "Question". RRS feed

• Question

• Still using Sharepoint Services 3.0.  I created a new Discussion Site to host an internal Q&A session on a particular topic.

When you add new discussion, the system by default asks for a "Subject" and "Body".

In the (newform.aspx) form, is there a way to change the term "Subject" to "Question"?  And if so, how?

I am using Sharepoint Designer 2007.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 10:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I've never tried it with a discussion site, but I would imagine the following would work.

To customize the NewForm.aspx, open it in SPD and save it as something else, such as NewForm2.aspx. In short, you want to insert a new DataFormWebPart and hide (not delete) the default ListFormWebPart. In the new web part, you can then change the field description as you want.

You also have to change the default form for the list from NewForm to NewForm2.

Please refer to the following for more details. It walks through the process in good detail.

http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/

Best wishes,

Eric

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Hi,

GO to your list settings --> Click on Subject column and change its name to Question.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I've never tried it with a discussion site, but I would imagine the following would work.

To customize the NewForm.aspx, open it in SPD and save it as something else, such as NewForm2.aspx. In short, you want to insert a new DataFormWebPart and hide (not delete) the default ListFormWebPart. In the new web part, you can then change the field description as you want.

You also have to change the default form for the list from NewForm to NewForm2.

Please refer to the following for more details. It walks through the process in good detail.

http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/

Best wishes,

Eric

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Hi Staartech,

Would you please let us know how is your problem going? Is the suggestion helpful for your issue?

If you need further assistance, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Wayne Fan

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact  tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 3, 2011 2:38 AM
  • Hi,

GO to your list settings --> Click on Subject column and change its name to Question.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, October 3, 2011 3:40 AM