none
Cannot Find LINQ in Visual Studio 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am just getting started with Silverlight in Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate and I am doing a tutorial to try and learn how to access and use SQL databases within a silverlight app and the tutorial asks me to add 'LINQ to SQL Classes' in the add new item dialog, but it is no where to be found. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance. 

Sunday, June 13, 2010 1:19 AM

Answers

• Silverlight will be run on the client's machine, So you don't have a direct access to your database. Your database connection should directly accessible.

Directly accessing database from Silverlight is not recommended. So instead of this you can use WCF service get / set data from database.

And in WCF service you can use LINQ-SQL

Regards
    Nayan Paregi (MCTS)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:30 AM
  • In Silverlight you can display dynamic content, But to display that you need to use WCF/Web Service to get/set data.

Silverlight is just like adobe flash. It will be added as Embeded object in WebApplication.

Regards
    Nayan Paregi (MCTS)
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:33 AM

All replies

• Silverlight will be run on the client's machine, So you don't have a direct access to your database. Your database connection should directly accessible.

Directly accessing database from Silverlight is not recommended. So instead of this you can use WCF service get / set data from database.

And in WCF service you can use LINQ-SQL

Regards
    Nayan Paregi (MCTS)
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Okay, thanks for your reply. So I should only use silverlight for dispalying static visual stuff only?

If I make a WPF application I can use LINQ-SQL. What is the difference between the two (silverlight and WPF), as it appears to have the same design tools, except WPF cannot be opened in Expression Blend. Is WPF strictly server side?

Thanks in advance

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:40 AM
  • In Silverlight you can display dynamic content, But to display that you need to use WCF/Web Service to get/set data.

Silverlight is just like adobe flash. It will be added as Embeded object in WebApplication.

Regards
    Nayan Paregi (MCTS)
    Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:33 AM