peculiar behavior in the act of setting RS parameter values... RRS feed

• Question

• we're trying to get a better understanding of how RS behaves when parameters are being set.  We see quirky behavior that is a little difficult to describe.  Right now we assume that if the revolving green circle (with the phrase "Report is being generated" beneath it) doesnt appear, the report really wasnt rendered properly, even if the report region changes. 

One peculiarity that seems pretty consistent is on reports we've prototyped with "from" and "to" date parameters.  It seems that when we set one date (doesnt matter which is 1st) things progress normally, ie no "report clearing event" occurs as a result of setting cursor focus in the calendar control and changing its value.  The report region doesnt change from what showed previously.  But trying to set focus on 2nd (doesnt matter if its "from" date or "to" date, just that its the 2nd date being set) always seems to trigger some kind of event that 1) doesnt allow  focus to be on that text box, 2) blanks out the report region including headings.  Only after this "event" occurs, can we set focus on the 2nd date, change the value and click the "view report" button for rerendering.

We see similar types of behavior with other types of parameters that include multi value dropdowns and booleans.  The toughest part of this is trying to explain it to our users.  On some parameters, the event always occurs every time they are changed.  On other parameters, it appears that the event only occurs if another parameter was changed beforehand. 

I believe we've even seen headings with no data rendered, thinking temporarily that no rows were returned, just to find out that by clicking the "view report" button there really was data to be reported based on current filters.  Unfortunately I cant reproduce this scenario when I want to.     

Monday, January 21, 2008 8:32 PM

Answers

• MS's official word on this weird "postback" behavior is that it is by design but there was no explanation as to why they would design something like this...unprompted they volunteered the following feedback link for complaints about such things 

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

They're totally behind a strategy that involves usage of the report viewer control as a workaround to this kind of problem.   We like that also because it gives us an opportunity to seamlessly display estimated run times before a report is rendered in RS.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:15 PM

All replies

• I reported an incident to MS's RS Incident group a couple of weeks ago and received confirmation today that they have reported the peculiar postback behavior on parameter setting as a bug to the RS development group.  Once

the development group assesses the situation and I receive further communication, I will post the communication here.

Monday, February 25, 2008 3:09 PM
  • MS's official word on this weird "postback" behavior is that it is by design but there was no explanation as to why they would design something like this...unprompted they volunteered the following feedback link for complaints about such things 

http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

They're totally behind a strategy that involves usage of the report viewer control as a workaround to this kind of problem.   We like that also because it gives us an opportunity to seamlessly display estimated run times before a report is rendered in RS.

Thursday, March 20, 2008 1:15 PM