Regular ASP.net forms vs mobile web forms on Windows Mobile 5.0 RRS feed

• Question

• User493624155 posted

I am writing an application that will be used on a Windows Mobile 5.0 device (only).  I have been using Windows Mobile forms and I am able to do what I need to do; however I find that there are many limitations of the mobile forms and controls.  For example, you can't have a SelectionList that posts back automatically.  Another good example is you cannot have a multi-line textbox without writing a custom control.  

I have played around with writing some regular ASP.net forms and viewed them in the browser in the emulator.  They look fine, however some of the behavior is not the same (such as postbacks).  I believe this is because some of the built-in client-side java script is being removed.  

I have found that many things that I need to do are only possible when using the DeviceSpecific control.  For example, It is a requirement that the textbox posts back automatically as the input is coming from a barcode scanner.  I was only able to make this work on a Mobile Form using the device specific control with an "IsJavaScript" choice.

I understand that the limitations on the mobile web forms are there because they will run on any type of device.  So I suppose my question is...if I am only running on a Windows Mobile Device should I be using Mobile Web Forms.  Is there any way to get Javascript to run on a WM 5.0 browser in a regular (non-mobile) ASP.net form?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:05 PM

Answers

• User-207142277 posted

Hi,

Hi as per my knowledge people generally used asp.net mobile web pages to build wap sites. Wap sites will be browsed in wap enabled phones.          That doesn’t mean that asp.net mobile web pages doesn’t run on WM 5.0, but as you said a site developed using asp.net mobile web pages will have a great limitations.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Fortunately WM 5.0 supports IE and its now enabled to support javascript so a normal web site has to function well in WM 5.0. According to this a normal web site has to function well in WM 5.0.

<o:p> </o:p>

For further information please refer to the following url

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/10/11/whats-new-in-windows-mobile-5.html?page=last

<o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Happy Coding

Please mark as “Answer” if you find this post helpful

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:50 PM
  • User-1223057304 posted

HI

its possible... 

In Wm 5.0 u can use standard  ASP.Net control also but by use device specific controls

u can use all asp.net controls inside device specific controls.

In WM 5.0 support java script also,suppose if u want post back control u can use standard asp.net controls inside the device specific controls.......

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:44 PM

All replies

• User-207142277 posted

Hi,

Hi as per my knowledge people generally used asp.net mobile web pages to build wap sites. Wap sites will be browsed in wap enabled phones.          That doesn’t mean that asp.net mobile web pages doesn’t run on WM 5.0, but as you said a site developed using asp.net mobile web pages will have a great limitations.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

Fortunately WM 5.0 supports IE and its now enabled to support javascript so a normal web site has to function well in WM 5.0. According to this a normal web site has to function well in WM 5.0.

For further information please refer to the following url

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/10/11/whats-new-in-windows-mobile-5.html?page=last

<o:p> </o:p><o:p> </o:p>

Happy Coding

Please mark as “Answer” if you find this post helpful

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:50 PM
  • User-1223057304 posted

HI

its possible... 

In Wm 5.0 u can use standard  ASP.Net control also but by use device specific controls

u can use all asp.net controls inside device specific controls.

In WM 5.0 support java script also,suppose if u want post back control u can use standard asp.net controls inside the device specific controls.......

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:44 PM
  • User493624155 posted

Thank you for the response.  I ran some quick tests and it looks like ClientScript.RegisterClientScriptBlock does work on on a regular asp.net page from WM.

I think for my purposes I may be better off writing regular ASP.net pages and just laying out the controls so that they are suited for the WM device. 

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:12 AM
  • User493624155 posted

Thank you for your response.  You are correct, I have found that I can use any control inside a template within a Device Specific control.  Another trick I learned was that you can wrap a control (or controls) in a User Control.  If you put standard asp.net controls inside a Mobile User Control you will see errors when you view the source aspx, however it will build and seems to work OK.

Placing the controls inside a Device Specific template is probably a cleaner way to go if you want to use standard ASP.net controls within a mobile web form.

As I mentioned in the previous post, I think I am going to consider writing standard ASP.net pages and laying out the controls.  It just saves me the trouble of having to place many controls inside a DeviceSpecific control or a user control.  I know I will miss some of the mobile controls, such as the form and the objectlist.

Update:

I just thought I would mention that I found that implementing the same functionality in a standard ASP page made a significantly larger page, thus it took a significantly longer time to load the page.  I opted to implement in Mobile Web Forms and wrestled with the DeviceSpecific control to add functionality (such as focus and post-back).

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:22 AM