none
excel to vba RRS feed

• Question

• I have converted a PDF file to Word (I have found that Word is the most accurate conversion).

The idea is to be able to transfer the Product #, Qty, and Price. from the Word document to excel. I usually have monthly reports of 40 to 75 pages long. where I need to gather the product, Qty, And price

I'm doing it manually and is taking me a long time to do it.

I have an item list database, I was think of using my product list data base and formulate some sort of Vlookup...

but I was doing more research and it looks like my best option would be Vba.

Monday, April 4, 2016 5:52 PM

All replies

• I did this several years ago and I did use VBA to get the data from Word to Excel to Oracle.  I used Calibre to convert from PDF to Word.  I think Word 2013 will do that now.  It depends how well the translation works as to how easy it is.
    Monday, April 4, 2016 11:30 PM
  • Without knowing how the converted document is formatted, it is not possible to suggest a method of extracting data from it. If you can get it, it would be better to start with the document from which the PDF was created, as PDF conversion is never perfect (and it depends on how the PDF was created whether Word can convert it).

Can you post a link to a sample?

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com

Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:59 AM
  • I agree that it is best to work with the original source.  In my case an old database on an old computer was decommissioned and we didn't notice until months later that the data was never moved to a new database.  The only data we had was in a PDF.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2016 1:57 PM