host by third party -- help with web configuration RRS feed

• Question

• User1846518998 posted
    I am new to .NET. Would someone help me figure out  the following  error after I load my clubwebsite to third party host. I have changed the connection strings in web.config file. Also, I changed <customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="ErrorPage.htm"/> mode on to off. Thanks a lot!

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 51: 	</connectionStrings>
    Line 52: <system.web>
    Line 53: <roleManager enabled="true"/>
    Line 54: <authentication mode="Forms"/>
    Line 55: <compilation debug="true" strict="true">

Source File: \\shared.hosting.local\nfs\cust\5\81\48\684185\web\ipe\web.config    Line: 53
    Friday, June 2, 2006 11:49 AM

All replies

• User1873438307 posted

Look at this

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

You have to setup that folder as application (virtual directory)

HTH

Regards

Friday, June 2, 2006 12:25 PM
  • User1846518998 posted
    Thanks HTH, I have my site host by a host company, does that mean they have to setup a virtual directory for me each time I create a new application? Any useful information would be very much appreciated!
    Friday, June 2, 2006 1:13 PM
  • User1873438307 posted

Thanks HTH, I have my site host by a host company, does that mean they have to setup a virtual directory for me each time I create a new application? Any useful information would be very much appreciated!

You should see this in the control panel of the hosting, otherwise contact them to do that for you.

btw, HTH = Hope that helps [:)]

Regards

Friday, June 2, 2006 1:25 PM
  • User-1853252149 posted

Every application must begin in an application root.  That means either adding to an existing application or creating a new application root, either on a subfolder or vidtual directory.

Jeff

Monday, June 5, 2006 10:08 AM