Win application in azure or in cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application in visual studio (win application). The application downloads every day hundreds or more pages from the web, does an analysis to the data from the pages, and save them.

I wonder if Windows Azure is match to my application, because there are no server in my application. 

if yes - so how?

and if no - so any cloud can match me?

חני
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 7:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Since you want to host your application in the Cloud, it needs to be an internet accessible application. This means a service or a web application. Of course you can run a WinForms application on Windows Azure, but you wouldn't be able to open the user interface (you could, by using RDP, but is is not recommended).

So, you should extract your WinForms in a client application and create a WorkerRole that downloads pages and analyzes the data. This is basic client server design where your WorkerRole acts as a server and your WinForms application interacts with data provide by your service (or WorkerRole).

Here's an example of how a WinForms client can talk to an Azure WorkerRole.

With regards,

Patriek

www.patriekvandorp.net
    If this reply is of help to you, please don't forget to mark it as an answer.
    • Marked as answer by Chani poz Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Chani,

It sounds like your application is more like a service that gathers information. Obviously you can run services in Windows Azure. So for the purposes your application is used, Windows Azure is a good match.

Depending on your application, you would need to do some rework. I can imagine your application having some sort of user interface to do something with the gathered data. Now, if this is a Windows Forms user interface, you'd either need to extract the user interface and have it call your service in the Cloud or you'd have to rewrite your user interface to become a web interface.

With regards,

Patriek

www.patriekvandorp.net
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:15 AM
  • Thanks,

But I don't know how to do that. I have visual studio express c# and don't have asp.net because I didn't use it. my application need to be in asp.net? there is no win app in azure?

My application doe's two principles things: download pages (and because  that i want to use clouding ) and analysis the data by XPath and Reg-ex. And yes, I have an interface.

If you can help or send me to some links that explain how to do that, thank you very much. because I'm very confused.

All the example I read or saw was with client side and server side, not like mine.

חני
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

Since you want to host your application in the Cloud, it needs to be an internet accessible application. This means a service or a web application. Of course you can run a WinForms application on Windows Azure, but you wouldn't be able to open the user interface (you could, by using RDP, but is is not recommended).

So, you should extract your WinForms in a client application and create a WorkerRole that downloads pages and analyzes the data. This is basic client server design where your WorkerRole acts as a server and your WinForms application interacts with data provide by your service (or WorkerRole).

Here's an example of how a WinForms client can talk to an Azure WorkerRole.

With regards,

Patriek

www.patriekvandorp.net
    • Marked as answer by Chani poz Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:25 AM
  • Thank you very much it really helped me. I know beginning to work at that. (Hope manage without anymore questions) 
    חני
    Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:34 AM