Bouncing to 2 Different Control Panels/Windows Update = FAIL

General discussion

• Microsoft,
    The idea of having the split UI (Metro/Desktop) is okay but only under the following circumstances:

I only go to the Desktop if I sepcifically desire to. So if I want to change a setting (any setting) from the Control Panel I never want to HAVE to bounce to the Desktop. I want to be able to do it from within Metro. If I am forced to do something within Desktop Windows 8 is going to be a chaotic mess for power and average users alike. Bouncing back and forth is terrible.

Bouncing back and forth is okay however in specific circumstances. For instance:

I am browsing my Mail in Metro and I see a colleague just emailed me a spreadsheet. There is a Metro version of Office and I could launch it there but I know it is a pretty big spreadsheet and I want a fuller version of Office so I as the user decide to switch over to the Desktop and work on it there.

At this point Microsoft I don't even know if you can "port" all of Control Panel from Desktop to Metro. But if you launch Win8 on tablets next year and I have to jump to the Desktop to change Control Panel settings than Windows 8 will be trashed. This is not a matter of my personal opinion. The Verge, Engadget, Gizmodo, Ars Technica... all of them will trash Windows 8 in reviews. This has to be fixed. I am praying this is a result of the "Preview" status but I just don't even know what to think at this point. I love Win8 for everything it can be... but right now it's not delivering on the fundamentals.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 8:25 PM

All replies

• Bouncing back and forth is terrible.

Amen, brother!

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 8:30 PM