none
Linq to sql designer fails after SP1

    Question

  •  

    I've posted this as a reply in another thread, but the n noticed, that there people are talking about beta release and i have a problem in final release, so i repost here:

     

    When choose "run custom tool" on my dbml, i get:

    Warning 19 The custom tool 'MSLinqToSQLGenerator' failed.  Unspecified error xxxDB.dbml xxxNamespace

     

    - i've cleaned up registry keys packages for visual studio for all users on pc (because i'm running VS using administrator account and current user isn't administrator) as suggested in other threads, not helped

     

    - my dbml is extended using partial class

     

    - i had VS SP1 beta before, had no problem with that dbml file, uninstalled everything using tool from microsoft

     

    - in application log found this, don't know if it's releated, but it appreas only after SP1:

     

    The description for Event ID 0 from source devenv cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

    If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

    The following information was included with the event:

    The data source '{130bada6-e128-423c-9d07-02e4734d45d4}' specifies no supporting providers or a set that are not registered.

    the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

     

    -noticed, that i can't change in datacontext properties window datacontext namespace, i get "property value is not valid, unknown error", in visual studio without sp1 i can change that namespace without any problems.

     

    - i can provide additional info if needed; not all developer pc's yet installed sp1(it's not the first time microsoft sp's doesn't work), so we can regenarate dbml code using those pc's, but still - it's anoying.

     

     

    once again updated:

    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 6:07 AM

Answers

  • looks like i found workaround - in partial class you need to move using statements within namespace, let's say you had:

    using System.Data.Linq;
    using System;

    namespace XXX.DataAccess
    {
    ....
    }

    you need to make it like:

    namespace XXX.DataAccess
    {
    using System.Data.Linq;
    using System;

    ....
    }

     

    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:25 PM

All replies

  • looks like i found workaround - in partial class you need to move using statements within namespace, let's say you had:

    using System.Data.Linq;
    using System;

    namespace XXX.DataAccess
    {
    ....
    }

    you need to make it like:

    namespace XXX.DataAccess
    {
    using System.Data.Linq;
    using System;

    ....
    }

     

    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:25 PM
  • Hi Giedrius

     

    Thanks for the input, I was having an anger fit over that problem. I have a short addition, not much. It's apparently only necesarry for the .cs file that Linq to SQl generates for partial classes inside the DBML Treenode. (f.ex Northwind.cs inside Northwind.dbml) .  If you use partial classes other places in the project where Linq to Sql recides, you don't have to move the using statements inside the namespace (at least not on my pc).

    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 12:34 PM
  •  

    Great , working for me  .

     

    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:41 PM