Best way to review a software project RRS feed

• Question

• User-1939321229 posted

I work for a software services provider company.  Part of my job responssiblity is to review our ongoing projects from a technical point of view and give reccomendations or escalate if I see any issues.  What is the best way to do this.  At the moment I go around in an ad-hoc manner and speak to the developers, have a look at the code and see whats going on.  The problem is that I do not have a proper methodical way of doing this and what else I should be looking for.  Can you'll provide me with some advice.

Friday, November 16, 2012 5:54 AM

Answers

• User-37275327 posted

Apart from other point of views,

• Use a tool for code reviewing . StyleCop to source code review and FXCop to compiled version review. Free to download
    • Use MS Project to track the progress
    • Visio or other tool for design purposes.
    • Test Cases for minimize the valnarability.
    • For security aspects, use obfuscator tool like dotfuscator.
    • For some best practices, just google. Smile

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• User-1309697999 posted

There are be mulitple things that you could do:

1. Reviewing process: Perhaps you could track the schedule and estimates here. If nothing is present then perhaps try pushing for scrum methodology

2. Security: to check for security, find our the standards practices being followed to curn issues like sql injection, cross site scripting etc. you may want to look into OWSAP security standards for this(for web applications)

3. Review code to see the quality of code. You could get some coding standards document from the web (there are some very good ones too)

4. Check for connection issues like whether connection is not being hogged because of improper connection handling. Also check for CPU hogging and/or concurrency issues. (these tend to be most critical from organization perspective)

Friday, November 16, 2012 6:02 AM
  • User-37275327 posted

Apart from other point of views,

• Use a tool for code reviewing . StyleCop to source code review and FXCop to compiled version review. Free to download
    • Use MS Project to track the progress
    • Visio or other tool for design purposes.
    • Test Cases for minimize the valnarability.
    • For security aspects, use obfuscator tool like dotfuscator.
    • For some best practices, just google. Smile

Thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, November 19, 2012 11:17 PM
  • User-1309697999 posted

These are some very good sugesstions. I would like to add one more bit to it.

The overall architecture of the application and design of each component are also very good candidate for reviews. I suggest going through the Application Architecture Guide by microsoft to understand the architecture and review it better. Also the book by Gang of FOur on design patterns can be used as a reference for reviewing the design and suggesting the use of patterns.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:12 AM
  • Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:11 AM