EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 9.0.30729.1, P3 488f2b50, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dec2, P7 33d, P8 18, P9 system.outofmemoryexception, P10 NIL. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

I am facing a strange issue in Visual Studio 2008 Standard SP1, when using WPF Designer (even without using the Designer tab, only XAML tab). Visual Studio crashes very often, without any apparent reason, and in various ways, for example: exits instantly, the IDE displays corrupted UI, when begining compiling it stops responding.

There are two new Event Log entries after this:

EventType clr20r3, P1 devenv.exe, P2 9.0.30729.1, P3 488f2b50, P4 system.drawing, P5 2.0.0.0, P6 4889dec2, P7 33d, P8 18, P9 system.outofmemoryexception, P10 NIL.

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E0F92) (0)

Worth mentioning:
    - computer has Windows XP SP3 with the latest updates installed
    - it crashes on other computer types too
    - the project has quite a large number of UserControls
    - it appears that if opening a XAML file with the XML editor instead, it works ok
    - on other WPF projects it also works ok

Does anyone have an ideea why is this happening and solutions?

Thanks

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:01 AM

All replies

• It happens to me when I try to open details for a build being processed. Looking at the EventViewer you can realize that the VS team is not handling their exceptions correctly. Someone should tell them that they must add a UnhandledExceptionHandler!
    Friday, January 30, 2009 5:59 PM
  • I have the same error! No answers till from 15.10.08!? Does microsoft ever read this kind of posts anyway??
    It's very ennoying to use WPF in applications with this bug.

More over, at the same time IntelliSense is breaking. I read many posts from microsoft how to solve this bug but they were useless.
    The scenario is:
    1) open just 3 primitive XAML files in XAML editor (not WPF designer)
    2) close two of opened xaml files
    3) Check intelliSense - it wouldn't work untill you restart VS.

If you open 2 XAML files - it works fine, but 3 -XAML - is enought for VS2008SP1 to fall down.

XAMLs are following:

XAML1:
    <UserControl x:Class="AutoTrader.Quotes.CellLotsTemplateControl" 
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation" 
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml" 
        Height="21" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"     
                 > 
        <Grid> 
            <Label Height="21"   
                   Name="label1" 
                   VerticalAlignment="Stretch" 
                   HorizontalAlignment="Stretch"   
                   HorizontalContentAlignment="Right" 
                   FontSize="9" 
                   Content ="{Binding Path=LotsCount}" 
                   /> 
        </Grid> 
    </UserControl> 

XAML2:
    <UserControl x:Class="AutoTrader.Quotes.CellOperationTemplateControl" 
                 >   
        <Grid>   
            <Button    
                Height="21"   
                Name="label1"   
                VerticalAlignment="Stretch" HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" 
                HorizontalContentAlignment="Right" FontSize="9" Content="Button"/>   
        </Grid> 
    </UserControl> 

XAML3:
    <UserControl x:Class="AutoTrader.Quotes.CellPriceTemplateControl" 
                 > 
        <Grid> 
            <Label Height="21"   
                   Name="label1" 
                   VerticalAlignment="Stretch" 
                   HorizontalAlignment="Stretch" 
                   HorizontalContentAlignment="Right" 
                   FontSize="9"   
                   Content ="{Binding Path=Price}" 
                   /> 
        </Grid> 
    </UserControl> 
    Monday, February 16, 2009 1:40 PM
  • By the way. I have VS 2008 SP1 x86 Windows XP SP1 and Windows Vista SP1 on notebook. No PowerCommands, no Visual Studio 2005 - just full VS2008 Team Suite SP1.
    Monday, February 16, 2009 2:08 PM
  • I'm having this exact same problem. I've been using XAML for about 2 months now without any problems until this morning. On top of my designer crashing the IDE, my app no longer shows when running in debug.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1023
    Date:  2/23/2009
    Time:  9:07:09 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: C2JHAMILT
    Description:
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A035E00) (80131506)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1023
    Date:  2/23/2009
    Time:  9:07:09 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: C2JHAMILT
    Description:
    .NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E0F92) (0)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Monday, February 23, 2009 3:13 PM
  • I have written an add-in that attempts to work around one common cause of VS crashes by preloading referenced assemblies for a project (and allowing the load order to be changed). You can read more (and download it) from http://www.huagati.com/ProjectLoader/

If you try it out, please report back whether it fixes (or doesn't fix) the problem for you.
    Kristofer - Huagati Systems Co., Ltd. - web: www.huagati.com - blog: blog.huagati.com - twitter: twitter.com/KristoferA
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 8:35 AM
  • Have you tried disabling VS2008 from opening in Design View. The design view is not good anyway for XAML which is why you should get blend or just do it manually.

To do this I suggest going here :  http://weblogs.asp.net/fmarguerie/archive/2009/01/29/life-changer-xaml-tip-for-visual-studio.aspx  .
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Nick McCready said:

Have you tried disabling VS2008 from opening in Design View. The design view is not good anyway for XAML which is why you should get blend or just do it manually.

To do this I suggest going here :  http://weblogs.asp.net/fmarguerie/archive/2009/01/29/life-changer-xaml-tip-for-visual-studio.aspx  .

Yep. I've done that and it still crashes. I've pretty much exhausted all the methods to resolve this issue I could find.
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Hi, everyone,

We now have a patch from CLR team that should help fix many VS crash issues when you are developing with WPF designer. The patches are making their ways to be published later. But if you would like to apply it now, please feel free to send me an email with this title "362944 Fix Request".

My email is: zhanbos AT microsoft DOT com.

We apologize for the trouble this issue has caused. And thanks for your patience.
    Zhanbo

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:39 AM
  • Dear all,

I am desesperate, I hev try all what I found on this forums and other to try soling my issue and for me i get exactly the same thing after this
    I have done all procedure as others like :

Also, this is an error I get in the output window when I try and view XAML:

The Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml ({E58C2A8B-BCC4-4559-AD59-D62EB6D58A22}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.

If I try to go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > I can click on General and Tabs.  However if I click on Formatting or Miscellaneous then I get the error: "An error occured loading this property page".

To reiterate:
    1. When I run '%systemroot%\syswow64\regedit' the Default is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll'.  This file exists locally.
    2. I have tried to register (as an administrator with 'regsvr32 "%CommonProgramFiles(X86)%\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll"' to which I receive the prompt 'DllRegisterServer in C:\Program FIles (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll succeeded.'
    3. I have tried repairing Visual Studio.
    4. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling visual studio.

Any fix ?

serge

Your experience is build from the one of others
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 10:26 AM
  • +1 from my side. On a clean machine VS 2008 SP1 starts crashing after Microsoft Expression/Blend installation. After Expressions are removed VS starts behaving as expected. 
    I think the problem is in the well-known Design assembly and versioning...

Kind regards, Denis (GMT +02:00)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:55 AM
  • I manage to solved my case.
    I have place the way I have done it in my blog at :
    http://sergecalderara.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/xamal-intelisense-broken-after-installing-the-windows-sdk-for-windows-server-2008-and-net-framework-35/

reagrds
    serge
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:02 PM
  • Hello everyone,

I finally got rid of these errors I have initially posted. Unfortunatly nothing in these forums helped.

The problem seems to be that the project I was working on was too big and unstructured - I inherited it just like that :). On the machine I was working back in october 2008, it took approximately 1 min for the project to compile (there are hundreds of UserControl and Window popup classes in the project)

Now I structured it in Class libraries, and VS does not crash anymore, not to mention the project compiles in a few secons.
    So the solution is indeed good design, but that does not excuse Microsoft to just throw exceptions in Event Viewer without any additional info. Here are the last I spotted:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.4016 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (6BFE1092) (0)

Faulting application devenv.exe, version 9.0.30729.1, time stamp 0x488f2b50, faulting module ole32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e037d7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000a17b5, process id 0x15ac, application start time 0x01c9deacaf2536b5.

So I cannot post a miracle solution to this frustrating problem, just design your projects well.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 10:09 AM
  • I was having the same issue after installing Blend 3 on one of our developers PCs. We were able to fix the issue by uninstalling the Silverlight 3 SDK. We are building a WPF app and don't really use Silverlight so we could do this with no impact to us. Don't know what to tell Silverlight developers though. Hope this helps some people.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 5:52 PM
  • I was having the same issue after installing Blend 3 on one of our developers PCs. We were able to fix the issue by uninstalling the Silverlight 3 SDK. We are building a WPF app and don't really use Silverlight so we could do this with no impact to us. Don't know what to tell Silverlight developers though. Hope this helps some people.

Thanks a lot! It really helped!
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hi Zhanbo and all,

I am getting the error "System.OutOfMemoryException" in VS2010 in WPF during the run time its showing these type of error when i click particular control like textbox inXAML. plz give some idea to fix it.

Regards,

Bala.K

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Hello everyone,

I finally got rid of these errors I have initially posted. Unfortunatly nothing in these forums helped.

The problem seems to be that the project I was working on was too big and unstructured - I inherited it just like that :). On the machine I was working back in october 2008, it took approximately 1 min for the project to compile (there are hundreds of UserControl and Window popup classes in the project)

Now I structured it in Class libraries, and VS does not crash anymore, not to mention the project compiles in a few secons.
    So the solution is indeed good design, but that does not excuse Microsoft to just throw exceptions in Event Viewer without any additional info. Here are the last I spotted:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.4016 - Fatal Execution Engine Error (6BFE1092) (0)

Faulting application devenv.exe, version 9.0.30729.1, time stamp 0x488f2b50, faulting module ole32.dll, version 6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e037d7, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000a17b5, process id 0x15ac, application start time 0x01c9deacaf2536b5.

So I cannot post a miracle solution to this frustrating problem, just design your projects well.

Thanks for your sharing!
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 10:18 PM
  • Dear all,

I am desesperate, I hev try all what I found on this forums and other to try soling my issue and for me i get exactly the same thing after this
    I have done all procedure as others like :

Also, this is an error I get in the output window when I try and view XAML:

The Microsoft.VisualStudio.Xaml ({E58C2A8B-BCC4-4559-AD59-D62EB6D58A22}) did not load because of previous errors. For assistance, contact the package vendor. To attempt to load this package again, type 'devenv /resetskippkgs' at the command prompt.

If I try to go to Tools > Options > Text Editor > I can click on General and Tabs.  However if I click on Formatting or Miscellaneous then I get the error: "An error occured loading this property page".

To reiterate:
    1. When I run '%systemroot%\syswow64\regedit' the Default is 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll'.  This file exists locally.
    2. I have tried to register (as an administrator with 'regsvr32 "%CommonProgramFiles(X86)%\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll"' to which I receive the prompt 'DllRegisterServer in C:\Program FIles (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSEnv\TextMgrP.dll succeeded.'
    3. I have tried repairing Visual Studio.
    4. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling visual studio.

Any fix ?

serge

While this is an old thread, the fix to this one (for me) was to install Visual Studio SP1.

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:19 PM
  • This is crazy but I saw this in another post. So I decided to try...

Before un/reinstalling SilverLight 3 tools for VS 2008, I ran my report and it crashed ..

Then I installed the update to SL 3 tools, opened VS loaded report and ran it... Low and behold, BINGO, the report ran...

So looks like SL 3 tools is the issue...

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=9394

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 4:21 PM
  • actually i had CLR20r3 just half an hour again

thanks for support, i became less sad when i saw other people with this problem

in my case the problem was that i installed an extra-tool (.NET Reflector) 

the exception message contained a point about it, so i uninstalled it, now everything works pretty well. not sure my message helps, but perhaps you have another extra-tool that is not allowing studio to work

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:53 AM