none
Connecting Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows Server 2008 Entreprise RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Server 2008 Entreprise installed on a machine at home.  So far my attempts to change the domain on my client machine to the new domain is unsuccessful.  When I add the the new domain to my client machine I am prompted for a user name and password.  When I supply the credentials a long pause occurs then the following error message appears:

"The following error occured while attempting to join the domain (name of domain).  An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DC in the domain being joined has failed.  Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve dns names in the target domain."

What can I do/check to ensure my client computer is prepared to join a domain?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:39 AM

All replies

• Hello VBCoder60,

You are getting that error message because your can not reach your Domain Controller due to wrong DNS Settings or Firewall Rules

To successfully join your Windows Vista Ultimate to the Windows Server 2008 Entreprise Domain Controller make sure that your DNS Server IP Address points to the DC DNS Server.

1. Navigate to: Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
    2. Second mouse click on your Network Adapter and select Properties
    3. Select IPv4 and click on Properties
    4. Select Use the following DNS server addresses
    5. On Preferred DNS Server set the IP Address of your DC DNS Server

Secondly you could try and disable firewall in both sites

Regards,
    Charalambous Glafkos
    MCITP:Enterprise Admin, MCTS, CCNA, CHFI, CEH, ECSA, LPT, OCSP
    IT Solutions Knowledge Base - http://www.itsolutionskb.com
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 11:36 AM