none
Custom Edit Form for Document Library with Content Type. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a document library with 2 different Content Types. I need to create custom edit form for editing document properties, I need different custom edit forms for content types.. So I followed the instructions here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/create-a-custom-list-form-HA010119111.aspx to create the edit form using Sharepoint designer. I have did this of several lists and it all works perfectly. 

For the document library when I try to attach the custom form to the library I don't see the "Content type specific forms" drop down to choose the content type to attach the custom edit form.

How can this be done?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks to share your post.

For the issue, do you mean that when you associate the new page with a list in document library the content type specific forms is not seen? This is because you create the custom list form in the document library. Your document library didn’t configure to allow multiple types. If you still want to achieve this feature, you should follow this: document library-> settings-> content type-> create new types.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, February 25, 2011 1:44 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by sitty Friday, February 25, 2011 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 8:01 AM
  • I think you misunderstood my question. I have a document library configured with 2 different content types in it. The two content types have different columns in it. So I need to create 2 different custom edit forms. My problem is how to attach those custom edit forms to the document library. So that when you try to edit the properties of a file it will show the appropriate edit form based on the files content type. 
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks to follow up you post.

If I understand correctly this time, you mean that you want to create new content types in the site? If yes, since you have edit the custom list page, you just don’t know how to attach it to the document library? If this situation, you should use SharePoint Designer. The followed article should give the details about how to achieve this:

http://sharepoint07.wordpress.com/2008/02/05/customize-the-newformaspx/.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2006/11/06/Custom-Edit-Forms-for-SharePoint-2007-Lists.aspx.

Hope this could help you!

Leo

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Monday, March 7, 2011 7:19 AM
    Monday, February 28, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hello,

In SharePoint 2010, we create a document library with multiple content types, for e.g. Letter, Memo, Task and we have different columns associated with each of the content type. After we upload a document to this library, in the Default New Form we get a drop-down control to choose the Content type we want to classify the uploaded document as. When we change a value in drop-down, the columns associated with that content type are shown, and all other columns are hidden. I want to achieve the same functionality with the Custom New Form. Will we have to write a custom JavaScript for achieve this..or is there any other way to do it?

Thank you.

Regards,

RT

RT

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 1:20 PM
  • I am also looking for the same...

Please help :)

Friday, August 17, 2012 6:25 AM