none
kinect music RRS feed

• Question

• I've been wondering about using kinect to play music.

It would track your hand positions and depth to control the tone and volume respectively.

If you raise your hand to the top right, you'd get the highest note; lowest left produces the lowest.

If your hand is outstretched, it would be louder than next to your body; if it was level with your body or behind it would not produce sound.

it could track both left and right hand to produce a chord - support for 2 people (4 hands) maybe.

Is it possible to do this without much lag? and how would I code the actual sound? i don't want it to be preset pure notes; i want it to change in frequency according to position in order to create a kind of smooth flowing tone that gradually changes.

Where should I start?

Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:43 AM

All replies

• The simplest way to do that is to use midi and feed the signals to the appropriate midi parameters,
    For example you could feed the pitch changing hands signal to note on or pitchbend midi codes, and the velocity or expression parameter for the midi can be controlled with the same hand. You would need to setup midi in/out etc for your application and then your be able to use any other midi application as the module your going to control.  Its tedious  to set up but once its set up it work sweet.

If you used wave samples etc Your have to go through  a different tedious  procedure  like setting up wave playback on windows and setting up all the parameters you want to control etc but with midi your be able to control wave data that’s in another application that has midi in/out.
    • Proposed as answer by ykbharat Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:53 AM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 8:45 PM