Check if file download complete RRS feed

• Question

• User-296556072 posted
    Hello, i have a web application that sends a link to the cell to download a file, my question is, is there any way we can check that if the cell has completed downloading of the file or not so i can delete the file that is downloaded. Thanks in advance Mahmoud Manasrah
    Tuesday, March 22, 2005 8:22 AM

All replies

• User-95607119 posted
    I understand that you create a temporary file that is to be downloaded. If you redirect device to this file then you may not be able to check the download. If you create a script taht handles downloads then the script has to open file, write it to response output stream and then close the streams. Using this methodics you can also delete file after streams are closed.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2005 2:13 AM
  • User-296556072 posted
    thanks for the idea well in fact in using it already, i divide the file into bytes, and send it buffere to the client using response output stream while the user is still connected and when the file is completley read i delete it. and it works fine. just the problem is that the file can be completely read, and sent to the response stream and deleted while the client is still downloading the file. usually there is about 2 seconds difference between the reading the file completely, and finishing download on the client side, so if the user clicks cancel on his mobile in those 2 seconds, then he will loose the file, cause its going to be deleted...thats why... so is there any solution for this? Thanks in advance Mahmoud Manasrah
    Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:36 AM
  • User-95607119 posted
    You cannot control network (also GSM networks) lags. For Nokia devices you can use Content Object Descriptor technology to make downloads more intelligent and user-friendly. If you are using COD then device let's you know when download finished and also it informs you about results of download (success, fail). But, you can use this feature only on Nokia devices. There is on exception. You can use something similiar for Java downloads. Java download usually consists of two parts. At first, Java Archive Descriptor will be downloaded and then - if user decides so - the application is downloaded and installed. Both, COD and JAD, are simple text-based files and generating them is very easy.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2005 6:56 AM