Windows application built for Framework 1.1 does not run with Framework 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an application developed with VS 2003 for the Framework version 1.1.

I do not distribute the framework with my installer for obvious reasons.

When people download and install my software, the installer directs the user to the Microsoft site where the framework can be downloaded.

Here is the problem: Currently, MS offers version 2.0 for download, but the installer demands version 1.1 of the framework.

Can anyone help me how to change the setup in such a way, that it installs and runs with both version 1.1 and version 2.0 of the framework?

In advance, many thanks, if you can offer some help.

Ruud.
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 6:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can still download v1.1 of the .NET framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

You can use the <supportedRuntime> and <requiredRuntime> in your application configuration file to specify what version(s) you require/support.
    Here is some information on how how to do this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconassemblybindingredirection.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconassemblybindingredirection.asp

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:16 PM
  • Thank you for your help, Johan.

Half my problem is now solved.

The application now does indeed run with both versions of the framework when installed. Even if I force it to use version 2.0 with <requiredRuntime> it still performs great.

The only remaining problem is the installer. It is most likely the setup.exe that is included in the setup build that requires version 1.1.

This raises a new question.

Can I just forget about the setup.exe and distribute only the msi package? Or am I missing something important then?

again, thanks for your help. I am really an amateur in setup & deployment.

Ruud.
    Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:53 PM
  • Hello,

I too am having a similar problem, but I am not currently doing development work. Trying to run/install applicationss built on .net versions < 2.0. For instance I tried to install the visio connector for the MSBSA (Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer) and was told that version 1.1.4xxx needed to be installed for me to install the connector. This isn't the only instance of theis problem occurring, just the most recent.

Any help any one can provide would be very helpful.
    Sunday, December 11, 2005 10:07 AM
  • First for your Question Ruud.  The Setup.exe that is included with built setup Projects installs windows installer if it is not there.  You will still need to change the supported runtimes of the launch condition to include 2.0.50727 in the setup project launch condition editor, (it is semi colon delimited).  I don't believe there is a launch condition included in the setup.exe.

For the other question, managed appliactions are not guaranteed to be compatible with other framework versions.  I am not familiar with this particular application however it appears to have been built with the 1.1.4322 Framework and will run against it.  I could not find any information stating that this application works with 2.0.50727 I believe you will have to download the 1.1 Framework to run it.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:08 PM
  • Hello Johan,
    Where can I find the configuration file in VB2003?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 12:30 AM
  • Which configuration file? devenv.exe.config, your application's configuration file or machine.config?

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:08 AM
  • the application.
    I'm assuming there is a configuration file that allows me to change things about how the application is compiled.

I want to enable our framework 1.1 application to run under .net framework 2.0.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:26 AM
  •  Zachovich wrote:
    the application.
    I'm assuming there is a configuration file that allows me to change things about how the application is compiled.

I want to enable our framework 1.1 application to run under .net framework 2.0.

does that make sense? anyone?
    Tuesday, February 13, 2007 4:29 PM
  • There should be a template for adding a new configuration file to your project (project -> add new item). Make sure that you keep the name app.config for the file.

Have you looked at the links I gave in my earlier post about using the supportedRuntime element.

Best regards,
    Johan Stenberg

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:03 PM