How to host an ASP.NET project to the Internet publicly RRS feed

• Question

• User-546305266 posted

I have a ASP.NET web project in Visual Studio and I would like to know how to host it on Internet so it can be accessed publicly. If you can describe the steps to achieve this or provide a detailed tutorial I will be thankful.

I know how to host a website on IIS but is just accessible in the local network.

• I already have a domain.
    • The project connects with a MSSQL database (version 10.0.1600.22) in the local network, but I don't want the server that host that DB to be open to the Internet. I just want the website itself to be open. How can this be achieved? And also, how is the security affected?
    • I have read about sites like Azure that do hosting but I don't understand how they work and I don't know what to do. Is it about just paying the hosting service and that's it?
    • Here Linux is not used, only Windows, and the project is not Core.

If you need more information please let me know so I can edit the post and add it. Thanks

Thursday, December 12, 2019 2:58 PM

All replies

• User-719153870 posted

Hi netotz,

I have read about sites like Azure that do hosting but I don't understand how they work and I don't know what to do. Is it about just paying the hosting service and that's it?

If you are still interested in Azure, it provide free tier of Azure App Service which won't charge. You can refer to How To Deploy a ASP.NET Website to IIS or Azure, the second half of the video shows the detailed process how you can deploy your website in Azure. And here's a tutorial for the same purpose: Publish your ASP.NET app to Azure.

Or if you want pay for a better server for your web application, in addition to Azure you can also find many suitable servers online and the way to deploy is similar to: How to publish Asp.net website on internet.

Best Regard,

Yang Shen

Monday, December 16, 2019 2:28 AM