MSDN Licensing for non-prod SAP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm having a discussion with some folks at work - we will have an SAP rollout next year. They opted for not licensing the database through SAP (there's an option to pay a percentage of our SAP licenses and get unlimited SQL Server as a runtime for SAP), and they are saying that they did it that way because we don't need to buy licenses for non-prod SQL Server, as we "would be covered by our MSDN (Visual Studio) licenses".

The problem that I have with that is that most of the development that happens on an SAP environment is not "development" in the traditional sense - it is heavy process configuration and just a bit of code (which is mostly on ABAP, a language that is proprietary to SAP). Most SAP consultants don't need to write a single line of code to configure SAP. There's no VB, C, C++, C#, or Transact-SQL development whatsoever.  I've seen some blogs and discussions but none had a straight answer to that. 

Has anyone ever licensed SQL Server for SAP non-prod using MSDN licenses?

Thanks!

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 2:06 AM

All replies

• Mike Kinsman, can you help? Thanks
    Friday, December 2, 2016 8:54 PM
  • Mike Kinsman, can you help? Thanks

Dear Rob,

Can you please contact the MSDN customer support from the following links.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/aa948875.aspx

Thanks
    prathaprabhu

Microsoft Partner, Most Valuable Professional (MVP) and Microsoft Community Contributor (MCC)

Saturday, December 3, 2016 6:20 AM