Creating an Inventory. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I am in the process of creating a database Inventory how ever I have not worked in debt with microsoft SQL server management studio.

Any tips on how to go about creating an inventory table or Monitoring system in a database that already exists.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 9:21 AM

Answers

• Hi

In most cases you would run out and buy a monitoring solution. there are quite a few to choose from.

That said if you want to see what you have I use management studio to run scripts across all the server in a particular list. found that it is an not-used feature.

when you have Management Studio open select VIEW | Registered Servers 

here you can create folders to group servers and so forth. once created simply right click on the group and run new query.

thanks

JM

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Ayrton,

Need a little more detail here. What did you want to monitor? Database table sizes etc?

Regards,

Gavin Clayton Claytabase Ltd www.claytabase.co.uk

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 11:54 AM
  • Hi

In most cases you would run out and buy a monitoring solution. there are quite a few to choose from.

That said if you want to see what you have I use management studio to run scripts across all the server in a particular list. found that it is an not-used feature.

when you have Management Studio open select VIEW | Registered Servers 

here you can create folders to group servers and so forth. once created simply right click on the group and run new query.

thanks

JM

Tuesday, September 29, 2015 12:05 PM
  • How is all this related to the SQL Server Spatial (geometry, geography, etc) feature that is the topic of this forum?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2015 7:50 PM