none
How do you make modal dialog box with custom task pane? RRS feed

• Question

• How do you create a modal dialog box that freezes the background using custom task pane (undocked) similarly as Microsoft does the inbuilt modal dialog boxes in Microsoft Word? 

• Edited by Zoldello Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:21 AM
    Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:32 PM

Answers

• 'Modal dialogs (aka forms)' is the concept. If you want a code sample, you need to say what language you're using.

The simplest way to exemplify it is with a MessageBox, which is a type of dialog/form. So, in C#, if you place this:

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Word's not available in the background until you click 'okay'");
    In the handler for something.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:59 AM

All replies

• You need to write an AddIn, and then use a modal dialog.

You can use any programming language that allows for COM (C#, VB and C++ are the most common ones).

I'm not 100% that you will be able to initiate it with a tiny arrow button in the bottom right of group boxes....but you could have it launch when a user clicks a button on the ribbon, changes a drop down box on the ribbon, uses a Quick Links button, etc.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 5:41 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for the answers. However, it does not answer the question. I already know about VSTO and how to create Add-in/Add-on. I just to not know how to create a modal popup that freezes the background using custom task panes. I need to know how to. 

Thursday, August 2, 2012 3:44 AM
  • 'Modal dialogs (aka forms)' is the concept. If you want a code sample, you need to say what language you're using.

The simplest way to exemplify it is with a MessageBox, which is a type of dialog/form. So, in C#, if you place this:

System.Windows.Forms.MessageBox.Show("Word's not available in the background until you click 'okay'");
    In the handler for something.

Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:59 AM