How to set a square tile for first app installation?

Question

• Could you please advise how to set a square tile is default for first app installation if both the square and the wide logo image are provided in the manifest?

There is some notice in the MSDN:

If both a square and wide logo image are provided in the manifest, your app tile will default to a wide tile when it is installed

(original text is here : Tile and toast image sizes (Windows Store apps))

My App has both logo images (square and wide) but I need that the square logo will be set after app installation.

• Edited by _dima Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:27 AM
    Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:27 AM

Answers

• Now answer to the question "How to set a square tile for first app installation?" is

"For Win8.1 apps in the manifest (under the tab of Visual Assets), for Win8 this option is not provided"

Dave, thank you very much for your help!

• Marked as answer by _dima Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:02 AM

All replies

• in the package manifest under the tab of Visual Assets you can set the default size. this is used for the tile after installation

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 11:52 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Sorry, I cannot find "default size" settings in the manifest usual viewing.

I've found the tag "DefaultTile" in the XML viewing of the manifest. Is that it?

<VisualElements DisplayName="Testing application" Logo="images\squareTiles\tileDefault.png" SmallLogo="images\smalllogo.png" Description="The test of networking connections" ForegroundText="light" BackgroundColor="#005500" ToastCapable="true">
            <DefaultTile ShowName="noLogos" ShortName="TestApp" WideLogo="images\wideTiles\tileDefault.png" />
            <SplashScreen Image="images\splashscreen.png" BackgroundColor="#003500" />
          </VisualElements>

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:37 PM
  • its an attribute of Default tile:

<m2:DefaultTile Square310x310Logo="Assets\Square310x310Logo.png" Wide310x150Logo="Assets\Wide310x150Logo.png" Square70x70Logo="Assets\Square70x70Logo.png" DefaultSize="square150x150Logo">

but i just the designer of the manifest. there you can easily change it

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 12:52 PM
  • I have a little different tag "DefaultTile".

<DefaultTile ShowName="noLogos" ShortName="WiFi Dashboard" WideLogo ="images\wideTiles\tileDefault.png" />

It's all manifest file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Package xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/2010/manifest">
      <Properties>
        <DisplayName>Test App</DisplayName>
        <PublisherDisplayName>Corp.</PublisherDisplayName>
        <Logo>images\storelogo.png</Logo>
      </Properties>
      <Prerequisites>
        <OSMinVersion>6.2.1</OSMinVersion>
        <OSMaxVersionTested>6.3.0</OSMaxVersionTested>
      </Prerequisites>
      <Resources>
        <Resource Language="x-generate" />
      </Resources>
      <Applications>
        <Application Id="App" StartPage="default.html">
          <VisualElements DisplayName="Test App" Logo="images\squareTiles\tileDefault.png" SmallLogo="images\smalllogo.png" Description="Connection testing" ForegroundText="light" BackgroundColor="#005500" ToastCapable="true">
            <DefaultTile ShowName="noLogos" ShortName="Test App" WideLogo ="images\wideTiles\tileDefault.png" />
            <SplashScreen Image="images\splashscreen.png" BackgroundColor="#003500" />
          </VisualElements>
          <Extensions>
            <Extension Category="windows.backgroundTasks" EntryPoint="rtComponent.NotificationTask">
              <BackgroundTasks>
                <Task Type="systemEvent" />
              </BackgroundTasks>
            </Extension>
          </Extensions>
        </Application>
      </Applications>
    </Package>

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 1:16 PM
  • you having windows 8 or windows 8.1 application?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 10:10 PM
  • My application is developed for Windows 8, but this app has to work under win 8.1 also.

Do you tell about "OSMaxVersionTested"? Maybe in this case it must be equal 6.2.1 but it doesn't affect the default tile. 

From this MSDN article :

"This should be filled in by the developer with the highest version of Windows that the package was tested on."

I've tested the app under Win8.1 :)

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:47 AM
  • ahh this is an 8.1 feature so if your app targets windows 8 this wont work.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:48 AM
  • Now answer to the question "How to set a square tile for first app installation?" is

"For Win8.1 apps in the manifest (under the tab of Visual Assets), for Win8 this option is not provided"

Dave, thank you very much for your help!

• Marked as answer by _dima Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:02 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

As your description. You create an app in windows 8. If you want to show square title by default, you should remove

<DefaultTile ShowName="noLogos" ShortName="TestApp" WideLogo="images\wideTiles\tileDefault.png"/>

code in your app Package manifest file.

Best Wishes!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks<br/> MSDN Community Support<br/> <br/> Please remember to &quot;Mark as Answer&quot; the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

As your description. You create an app in windows 8. If you want to show square title by default, you should remove

<DefaultTile ShowName="noLogos" ShortName="TestApp" WideLogo="images\wideTiles\tileDefault.png"/>

code in your app Package manifest file.

Best Wishes!

No, it is not the solution because if I remove this tag I remove the wide tile from the application totally. 

asdfasd

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 9:46 AM