none
I'm getting "Excel Has Stopped Working" crash when trying to debug my Excel 2010 addin from VS 2010 with F5 RRS feed

• Question

• I've been developing an Addin for a number of months and now it won't load Excel when I hit F5 - instead it crashes. All was fine until I decided to do a "Rebuild All"

I'm now up to date with VS 2010 SP1, MSOffice 2010 SP1 and Windows 7 SP1 and all detected important updates.  But none of that has helped.

Any help much appreciated as I am now completely stuck!

Thank you

Clive Elsworth, London UK

The below comes from a brand new VB / Office VSTO project with no code or anything added or changed:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: excel.exe

Application Version: 14.0.6024.1000

Application Timestamp: 4d83e607

Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7b96e

Exception Code: c0000008

Exception Offset: 0004708f

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 286c

Additional Information 2: 286c5e05ce5443cbf80bcf7079b6ff6c

Additional Information 3: 5d0b

Additional Information 4: 5d0b042da50c2f6ec062ef00f01ab657

Mivoat
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:34 PM

Answers

• Hi Cindy

It's working again now - phew!

I'm not sure what it was that was causing NTDLL to crash, but that site you mentioned gave helpful tips.

I'll post again when I get to the bottom of it (if I can make it go wrong again).  That won't be for a little while tho - I have some catching up to do.

I'm most suspicious of Carbonite backup - which was doing a long backup all the time it was failing.  It has a virtual folder of backed up stuff.

However it was after one of the many reboots required when uninstalling and reinstalling updates, that it started working again.

Other things I did were to uninstall Google Chrome and Picassa, but I don't think it was either of them.

Anyway one big lesson I've learned - create restore points!

Many Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice!

Regards

Clive, London UK

Mivoat
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, August 8, 2011 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Mivoat

Did you try repairing both the Visual Studio and Office installations, through the Control Panel/Programs tool? That's the first thing I'd do.

The next would be to locate the Personal.xslb file (it will probably be "hidden") and rename that to Personal.xslb.OLD. Sometimes, that can get damaged and cause problems.

Also, what happens if you just start Excel as an end-user? Does it start? If you look in File/Options/Add-ins can you see your add-in listed? Is it enabled or disabled?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 2:06 PM
  • >Did you try repairing both the Visual Studio and Office installations, through the Control Panel/Programs tool? That's the first thing I'd do.

OK I have now run the repair process on both VS 2010 and Office 2010 - unfortunately to no avail.

>The next would be to locate the Personal.xslb file (it will probably be "hidden") and rename that to Personal.xslb.OLD. Sometimes, that can get damaged and cause problems.

I cannot find a Personal.XLSB  (xLSb not SL?) anywhere under the AppData folder - although you may well be right - I was also playing around with Macros just before it went wrong.

Any suggestions on where else to look for it or something related?

>Also, what happens if you just start Excel as an end-user? Does it start? If you look in File/Options/Add-ins can you see your add-in listed? Is it enabled or disabled?

Excel starts fine on its own.  My Addin is now long gone -  I'll be happy if I just get my IDE back!

Also no other Addins are now loaded.

I'm grateful for your help.

Clive

Mivoat
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi Mivoat

<<I cannot find a Personal.XLSB  (xLSb not SL?) >>

I think I'm right... Let's see, it's xml so it's xsl so Excel files are xls :-) (I'm constantly having to do that to keep things straight <sigh>)

Can you find any macros, since you said you were playing around with them? Are you able to unhide Personal.xlsb in the UI and work with it? (That's where, for example, recorded macros should be saved) Are you able to record macros?

<<My Addin is now long gone -  I'll be happy if I just get my IDE back! Also no other Addins are now loaded.>>

Were there other Add-ins, before? (Just double-checking, but I get the impression you were just ruling that out as a source of conflict)

How about if you start a new Add-in in Visual Studio? Can you do that? Can you debug/load it with F5?

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi Cindy

> Are you able to unhide Personal.xlsb in the UI and work with it?
    I hadn't until now saved any macros there, but I've just now done that (which played back fine) and renamed the file as you suggested, so Excel now starts with no new worksheet (that's not a prob).  Unfortunately the problem persists.  (I only created temp ones in the past - to get the code to paste into the VB of my AdddIn)

>Were there other Add-ins, before?
    Yes there were other Addins before - Google Desktop Office Addin - now disabled.  Yes I was just trying to tell you I have eliminated as much as I can to try to solve the problem.

> How about if you start a new Add-in in Visual Studio? Can you do that? Can you debug/load it with F5?
    No that gives the same problem.  (I'm now up to ExcelAddIn3.sln)
    (Actually I've been using AddIn Express rather than VSTO, but the AddIn Express support person did a remote desktop view of my PC and got me to create an empty VSTO project.  That crashed in exactly the same way as the Addin Express (eventually empty) one had been crashing, so they concluded it wasn't a problem with their product, but in the MS environment.)
    The crash is in NTDLL.DLL - could there be something in that?

Kind Regards

Clive

Mivoat
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Hi Mivoat

<<The crash is in NTDLL.DLL - could there be something in that?>>

Quite possibly, yes. I recommend you do a search on that (Google, or whatever) and read up. This is apparently a core system file and the problem could be at a deep level.

One helpful site I turned up:
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/a/ntdlldll.htm

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:13 PM
  • Hi Cindy

It's working again now - phew!

I'm not sure what it was that was causing NTDLL to crash, but that site you mentioned gave helpful tips.

I'll post again when I get to the bottom of it (if I can make it go wrong again).  That won't be for a little while tho - I have some catching up to do.

I'm most suspicious of Carbonite backup - which was doing a long backup all the time it was failing.  It has a virtual folder of backed up stuff.

However it was after one of the many reboots required when uninstalling and reinstalling updates, that it started working again.

Other things I did were to uninstall Google Chrome and Picassa, but I don't think it was either of them.

Anyway one big lesson I've learned - create restore points!

Many Thanks for your prompt and helpful advice!

Regards

Clive, London UK

Mivoat
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Monday, August 8, 2011 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 10:16 AM
  • Hi Clive

Glad things are working again and, really, I hope the issue is solved and never comes back :-)!

FWIW the backup would be my first choice among the things you listed. Possibly, it had put something in "an off state" at a criticla microsecond and something got "jumbled". It happens - less and less as our technology improves, but...

And yes, isn't it marvelous that we HAVE restore points. When I got into this business there was no such thing and we had to do DOS-level reformats and reinstallations all too regularly!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:49 AM