Remove Top Links from Report Server RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for a way to remove the top Navigation from SQL Server Report Server. Each report you open or run has these links at the top. I dont want people who are running reports to be able to go to the home page and see all reports on the server.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 2:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Lindsey,

Reporting Services provides default cascading style sheets (.css) files that define styles for the report toolbar in HTML Viewer and for Report Manager. In this case, you can modify the default styles to change the layout of Report Manager. However, you may have problems with the Report Manager if the style sheets are not modified correctly. So, please be sure to create a backup of all default .css files before making any modifications. To remove the top links, please refer to the steps below:

1. Please open the Report Manager folder.
      In Reporting Services 2008 (R2), the folder is <Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ ReportManager.
    2. Open the folder “Styles”.
    3. Open the file “ReportingServices.css” using Text Editor such as Notepad.
    4. Change the “table.msrs-topBreadcrumb” to be the following:

table.msrs-topBreadcrumb { background-color: #EBF3FF; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 84%; font-weight:normal; color:#666666;display:none}

5. Save the file.

Alternatively, if you want to control a user’s access to specified items on the Report Server, we can set the Item-Level permissions that determine which items can be accessed on the Report Server for the users. For more information about how to set Item-Level Permissions, please see:
    Lesson 2: Setting Item-Level Permissions on a Report Server

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Edited by Mike Yin Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:15 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for all the reply's. Both of those solutions will work, for my application I do not want my end users to ever see the report manager screens so I found I can direct them to a link that looks like http://servername/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fREPORTNAME&rs%3aCommand=Render. This takes my user directly to the report with no top blue bar. I do still have the records navigation, save/export, and print option bar, but the very top bar is now gone. This works perfectly for my environment.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Lindsey

You can cheng the Look and fill of report manager using ReportingServices.css file. Just Do some R&D on the below file.

Navigate to ReportingServices.css file.
    Path: <Drive:> \Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager\Styles
    2.      If want backup the ReportingServices.css file before you modify it, open it with notepad format.
    3.      Change the following portion in ReportingServices.css file. Try Removing the Top part form the file.

You will get more details on below link Change the Look & Fill of the Report Manager.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/4771ed8a-d0a3-4bc2-b1dc-73e543dd1366

http://forums.asp.net/t/1298049.aspx/1

Hope this help you so solve your problem

Suhas_Akole

Mark as Answer if this resolves your problem or "Vote as Helpful" if you find it helpful.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:56 AM
  • Hi Lindsey,

Reporting Services provides default cascading style sheets (.css) files that define styles for the report toolbar in HTML Viewer and for Report Manager. In this case, you can modify the default styles to change the layout of Report Manager. However, you may have problems with the Report Manager if the style sheets are not modified correctly. So, please be sure to create a backup of all default .css files before making any modifications. To remove the top links, please refer to the steps below:

1. Please open the Report Manager folder.
      In Reporting Services 2008 (R2), the folder is <Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ ReportManager.
    2. Open the folder “Styles”.
    3. Open the file “ReportingServices.css” using Text Editor such as Notepad.
    4. Change the “table.msrs-topBreadcrumb” to be the following:

table.msrs-topBreadcrumb { background-color: #EBF3FF; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 84%; font-weight:normal; color:#666666;display:none}

5. Save the file.

Alternatively, if you want to control a user’s access to specified items on the Report Server, we can set the Item-Level permissions that determine which items can be accessed on the Report Server for the users. For more information about how to set Item-Level Permissions, please see:
    Lesson 2: Setting Item-Level Permissions on a Report Server

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

• Edited by Mike Yin Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:23 AM
    Wednesday, March 7, 2012 8:22 AM
  • Thanks for all the reply's. Both of those solutions will work, for my application I do not want my end users to ever see the report manager screens so I found I can direct them to a link that looks like http://servername/ReportServer/Pages/ReportViewer.aspx?%2fREPORTNAME&rs%3aCommand=Render. This takes my user directly to the report with no top blue bar. I do still have the records navigation, save/export, and print option bar, but the very top bar is now gone. This works perfectly for my environment.

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:33 PM