none
Failed to publish program to the web. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently published my small basic program QTN895 (A Space Simulation Game) to the web almost two weeks ago. Since then I have fixed some bugs and other issues with the program as well as adding a save game feature. The changes added about 50 lines of code to the program. I tried to publish the updated program but ran into the following problem.

The code is 78 kb in size.

I am thinking of publishing it in two parts that would have to be merged in the small basic editor before running the code.

Question:  Is there another or better way around this problem?

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 10:50 PM

Answers

• Hi cvmarus

try it with the thread "Verify Account 41".

Then you can contribute with few points.

• Marked as answer by cvmarus Friday, October 26, 2018 5:38 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. I replied to the thread "Verify Account 41" and asked to be verified. I'll update this thread when it happens.
    Friday, October 26, 2018 12:06 AM
  • Hi There,

Your code is too large to publish to the internet, Perhaps you can try uploading your code with all its images downloaded in a zip file through Google Drive, OneDrive or the TechNet Gallery. TechNet Gallery link = https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/

You can also simplify the code and publish it.

To publish your program on TechNet Gallery , Just go to the link above and In the left side of the site , You will see upload a contribution just click that label and upload.

Here's the direct link to upload to TechNet Gallery = https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/site/upload

Thanks.

Roshan - 8th Grade Student (Age 12) - Learning Small Basic, Visual Basic and C#

Hi Roshan

I took your suggestion and put the zip file with all the assets in Google Drive.

EXFS a Space Simulation Game

Thanks

• Marked as answer by cvmarus Friday, October 26, 2018 7:14 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:13 PM
  • Hey, the SB community has raised you to 100 points!
    • Marked as answer by cvmarus Monday, October 29, 2018 6:32 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Nice!
    • Marked as answer by cvmarus Monday, October 29, 2018 6:31 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Sorry cvmarus

I have no experience with technet, but I will help you above 100 points :-)

The limit for publishing SB-Programs is hard by 65535 bytes and I was wondering because your first successful published file (QTN895) had a size of 73kByte. 
    Blanks doesn't count... but 7000?

50 lines of code can compensate with shorter variablenames(search/replace is useful) and shorter comments.

Friday, October 26, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Hi backtothestart

I see what you mean about the spaces. There are a lot of them. The variable names could be shortened but that makes the code more difficult to understand. Many of the variable names are indicative of the purpose or function that they serve. If the SB-program size limit is 65535 then I cannot explain how the original 73k file was published. But since then I have placed the entire zipped folder in a shared Google Drive so anyone can access it. The size of the code file continues to grow because of bug fixes and added features

EXFS.zip

Thanks for the help.

cvmarus

Friday, October 26, 2018 11:26 PM
  • Hi There,

Your code is too large to publish to the internet, Perhaps you can try uploading your code with all its images downloaded in a zip file through Google Drive, OneDrive or the TechNet Gallery. TechNet Gallery link = https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/

To publish your program on TechNet Gallery , Just go to the link above and In the left side of the site , You will see upload a contribution just click that label and upload.

Here's the direct link to upload to TechNet Gallery = https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/site/upload

Thanks.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:23 AM
  • another approach is to compress file with search&replace. u can gain another 50-100 kb depends on text code. the most repetitive items may be swapped with single chars like % $ # @. to decompress use replace in reverse order of compress. or u can write decompressor like ldtext.replace("$" "word1") etc...
    Monday, October 29, 2018 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hi There,

Thanks.

Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:23 AM
  • Hello Roshan

Thanks for the feedback. I have not previously considered Google Drive or OneDrive but I will look into that. As for the TechNet Gallery, it will not allow me to contribute to the Gallery at this time because I am a new member with very few points. I do not know what the "Points" requirements are before they allow someone to contribute.

• Unmarked as answer by litdevModerator Friday, October 26, 2018 7:07 PM
    Thursday, October 25, 2018 3:20 PM
  • Hi cvmarus

Thursday, October 25, 2018 10:11 PM
  • Thanks for the tip. I replied to the thread "Verify Account 41" and asked to be verified. I'll update this thread when it happens.
    Friday, October 26, 2018 12:06 AM
  • Hi cvmarus

Hi backtothestart

I did as you suggested by asking to have my account verified in the "Verify Account 41" thread. They responded within 24 hours and indicated that all accounts in the thread have been verified. When I tried to contribute to the Gallery I received this message.

I have since learned that even though my account is verified I still need 100 points to contribute to the Gallery. The requirements are higher there than in the Forum.

Friday, October 26, 2018 6:55 PM
  • Hi There,

Thanks.

Hi Roshan

I took your suggestion and put the zip file with all the assets in Google Drive.

EXFS a Space Simulation Game

Thanks

• Marked as answer by cvmarus Friday, October 26, 2018 7:14 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:13 PM
  • Hey, the SB community has raised you to 100 points!
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:17 PM
  • Nice!
    • Marked as answer by cvmarus Monday, October 29, 2018 6:31 PM
    Friday, October 26, 2018 7:31 PM
  • Sorry cvmarus

I have no experience with technet, but I will help you above 100 points :-)

The limit for publishing SB-Programs is hard by 65535 bytes and I was wondering because your first successful published file (QTN895) had a size of 73kByte. 
    Blanks doesn't count... but 7000?

50 lines of code can compensate with shorter variablenames(search/replace is useful) and shorter comments.

Friday, October 26, 2018 7:37 PM
  • Hi backtothestart

I see what you mean about the spaces. There are a lot of them. The variable names could be shortened but that makes the code more difficult to understand. Many of the variable names are indicative of the purpose or function that they serve. If the SB-program size limit is 65535 then I cannot explain how the original 73k file was published. But since then I have placed the entire zipped folder in a shared Google Drive so anyone can access it. The size of the code file continues to grow because of bug fixes and added features

EXFS.zip

Thanks for the help.

cvmarus

Friday, October 26, 2018 11:26 PM
  • another approach is to compress file with search&replace. u can gain another 50-100 kb depends on text code. the most repetitive items may be swapped with single chars like % $ # @. to decompress use replace in reverse order of compress. or u can write decompressor like ldtext.replace("$" "word1") etc...
    Monday, October 29, 2018 4:04 AM