Simultaneous burning using multiple drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am now writing some code to burn three CDs simultaneously using three optical drives. Three worker threads are created to handle the burning. Right now I need to create three seperate burn images (IFileSystemImage) for the burning, which takes up a lot of harddisk space and is very time-consuming. Is there any way to let the three threads to share the same burn image?

Thanks.

Milan.
    Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:44 AM

Answers

• Interesting question. This might be easy or not depending of the behavior of IStream when shared across multiple threads. If the seek pointer is specific to each thread, then you will simply have to share the same IStream resulting of the image creation to the multiple threads. If not, if the seek pointer is shared between all the threads, then maybe you need to create a wrapper around it and maintain by yourself a seek pointer for each thread. I must admit I do not know what is the behavior of IStream when shared across thread, but hopefully this can be found easily through experimentation.

Btw, you might want to take a look at Windows 7 Beta as we now allow use of pointers to input files instead of making a full staging copy everytime.
    Soft. Dev. Eng. Lead | Optical Platform Group | Microsoft
    • Proposed as answer by David Burg Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by David Burg Friday, March 13, 2009 4:05 AM
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 5:50 AM