none
Cannot find Task Assignment Note in MS Project 2010 database RRS feed

• Question

• In MS Project 2010 I can enter Notes on Task Assignment detials screen.

I need to programatically process this note, but I am not able to locate it in database. I am looking it in XXX_Published database, but it is not neither in MSP_ASSIGNMENTS (e.g. field ASSN_NOTES), nor in MSP_ASSIGNMENT_TRANSACTIONS_COMMENTS.

Has anyone idea where are these notes stored?

Thursday, September 16, 2010 4:12 PM

Answers

• PalMSk,

You might find this very confusing, but notes you enter on the My Tasks page are notes on Task level, not assignment level. That's why they are not available on assignment level. So you will need to rerteive them on task level.

You can access this information using 2 services:

• As long as the updates (including notes) on the My Tasks page have not been approved, updated into the plan and published by the PM, they are only available using the StatusingWebSvc
    • Once they are available in the project plan, you can access them using the ProjectWebSvc

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Marked as answer by PalMSk Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:09 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:02 AM

All replies

• Hi PalMSk,

Notes are stored as a binary blob in the database and cannot be retrieved using a SQL query. Task and assignment notes are not available in the Reporting database.
    In addition, I would like to remind you that accessing the _Published database directly is not supported by Microsoft.

You can programmatically edit assignment notes using PSI (see the SDK for full details). Task notes cannot be edited using PSI.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:19 PM
  • Thanks Hans,

In fact, I do not need to edit those notes, just read them. I tried PSI, by retrieving ProjectDataSet. I expected those values in dProjs.Assignment(i).ASSN_NOTES, but it is DBNull for all tasks where I have my notes. Should I try another object or property?

Thank you for your help,

PalmSk

Friday, September 17, 2010 11:35 AM
  • Have you entered the notes on Task level, or on Assignment level? Notes entered on task level are not available on assignment level and vice versa.

Hans

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 5:49 AM
  • Note has been entered on Task Assignment level.

PalMSk

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:04 AM
  • Hi PalMSk,

Sorry to ask, but it's not clear to me based on your answer. Have you entered the notes in the Assignment Details dialog box? Cause only in this case they are available in the ProjectDataSet.AssignmentRow.

Are you using the ReadProject or ReadProjectEntities methd to read the project data set? If so, are you reading in the correct dataStore? When using the Published dataStore, make sure your project is published.

Let me know if this helps you,
    Hans

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:59 PM
  • Hans,

Well, I go there from page MyTaks. I click on some task assigned to me and what I get is details page. I believe this is Task Assignment Page. There at the bottom I enter Notes.

PalmSk

Thursday, September 30, 2010 6:47 AM
  • PalMSk,

You might find this very confusing, but notes you enter on the My Tasks page are notes on Task level, not assignment level. That's why they are not available on assignment level. So you will need to rerteive them on task level.

You can access this information using 2 services:

• As long as the updates (including notes) on the My Tasks page have not been approved, updated into the plan and published by the PM, they are only available using the StatusingWebSvc
    • Once they are available in the project plan, you can access them using the ProjectWebSvc

I hope this helps,
    Hans

• Marked as answer by PalMSk Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:09 AM
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Many thanks. I will try it that way.

PalmSk

Thursday, September 30, 2010 7:09 AM