Azure Functions - Azure SQL Database to Dynamics 365 synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a question concerning the implementation of Azure Functions and the possibilities of utilizing the service for synchronization. Is it possible for Azure Functions to host a synchronization service that syncs data from Azure SQL Database to Dynamics 365?

thanks!

Georgi

Friday, February 23, 2018 3:48 PM

Answers

• @Gmeyer

The type of architecture you choose here completely depends on your criteria and design of trigger you want to stay synch'd. For me I would sit down and draw it all out so I can see big picture of end to end what it is I am trying to accomplish if you have not done so yet. From just the sounds of it, a Time Trigger app would probably be your starting point and then logic creation from there.

@Johns-305

While Logic apps are awesome they do become limited and for what I think he is trying to accomplish, there is no need for a logic app here. You absolutely can make Logic Apps that when they reach their point on needing a developer call into another service like a Azure Function or you can even edit the JSON (code) behind the Logic App to do some extended functionality, in this case I would just write a Azure Function to fetch and serve my data since I am sure there is custom code going to be needed in the logic flow of the Function.

Hope that helps, marks as answered if so and Code on my friend!

~Theo

• Marked as answer by Gmeyer Friday, February 23, 2018 7:28 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 6:19 PM

All replies

• It cannot host a service but could be used as a triggered event and pass the data you need from and to the sources using in/out bindings.

Check out this document which will give you everything you need about triggers and bindings.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-functions/functions-triggers-bindings

Here is also a great tutorial on CodeProject for Azure Functions and SQL database:

https://www.codeproject.com/articles/1110663/azure-functions-tutorial-sql-database

~Theo

Friday, February 23, 2018 4:07 PM
  • Cool, thanks!

What service would you recommend to be the best solution for what I'd like to do?

Georgi

Friday, February 23, 2018 4:51 PM
  • Moving data from any SQL database to D365 will almost surely involve a number of rules and transformations.

Because of this, Logic Apps is a better fit for this operation than Functions. You can still use Function for custom tasks in the Logic App, but Logic Apps contains the data tools you'll need.

Friday, February 23, 2018 5:01 PM
  • @Gmeyer

The type of architecture you choose here completely depends on your criteria and design of trigger you want to stay synch'd. For me I would sit down and draw it all out so I can see big picture of end to end what it is I am trying to accomplish if you have not done so yet. From just the sounds of it, a Time Trigger app would probably be your starting point and then logic creation from there.

@Johns-305

While Logic apps are awesome they do become limited and for what I think he is trying to accomplish, there is no need for a logic app here. You absolutely can make Logic Apps that when they reach their point on needing a developer call into another service like a Azure Function or you can even edit the JSON (code) behind the Logic App to do some extended functionality, in this case I would just write a Azure Function to fetch and serve my data since I am sure there is custom code going to be needed in the logic flow of the Function.

~Theo

• Marked as answer by Gmeyer Friday, February 23, 2018 7:28 PM
    Friday, February 23, 2018 6:19 PM