Visual Studio 2015 Templates - Project System RRS feed

Answers

• Hi Rod,

It really depends on how you are attempting to register your templates. The original MPFProj CustomProject sample, is pretty dated and just tweaks the registry settings to find the templates. But it's primarily optimized for development, not deployment.

I wrote a Simple project type based on MPF_Proj, with what I consider a 'more properly' integrated project and item template which you might find useful as a reference:

https://github.com/EdDore/VSXArcana/tree/master/SimpleProject

The project was written with VS 2013, but the same concepts can be applied to the other versions of VS as well.

In particular, the SimpleProject.csproj implements the actual project type, and builds the .VSIX that's used to deploy the package. So I just added a Project and Item template to the solution, and then added these projects to the .VSIX via the .vsixmanifest.

So if I build the solution, it'll automatically deploy the custom project type and my templates to the experimental hive. And if I use the .VSIX file, it'll install the same to the retail instance.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Hi Ed Dore,

Thank you for your help. I'm going to work on your solution.
    Also, I found the Project System Extensibility and it is an easer way to make Custom Projects and I read that is a replacement for the MPF. I tried it and it has been working very good so far. However, I want to extend my project for another language and I will test both. 

Thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Rod,

It really depends on how you are attempting to register your templates. The original MPFProj CustomProject sample, is pretty dated and just tweaks the registry settings to find the templates. But it's primarily optimized for development, not deployment.

I wrote a Simple project type based on MPF_Proj, with what I consider a 'more properly' integrated project and item template which you might find useful as a reference:

https://github.com/EdDore/VSXArcana/tree/master/SimpleProject

The project was written with VS 2013, but the same concepts can be applied to the other versions of VS as well.

In particular, the SimpleProject.csproj implements the actual project type, and builds the .VSIX that's used to deploy the package. So I just added a Project and Item template to the solution, and then added these projects to the .VSIX via the .vsixmanifest.

So if I build the solution, it'll automatically deploy the custom project type and my templates to the experimental hive. And if I use the .VSIX file, it'll install the same to the retail instance.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Hi Ed Dore,

Thank you for your help. I'm going to work on your solution.
    Also, I found the Project System Extensibility and it is an easer way to make Custom Projects and I read that is a replacement for the MPF. I tried it and it has been working very good so far. However, I want to extend my project for another language and I will test both. 

Thanks

Monday, March 13, 2017 11:13 PM
  • Hi Ed Dore,

Can I make a Project Type with more than one template using VSXArcana ?

Thanks

Rod

Thursday, March 16, 2017 10:58 PM
  • Sure thing. Just add another template project to the solution, and then include it similar to how the SimpleProjectTemplate project is added to the SimpleProject project. Whew, I really need to figure out better names for my samples :-)

Ed Dore

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:18 AM
  • Very good!

Thanks

Friday, March 17, 2017 4:17 AM