Role design issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a strange roles problem.

Is there a way we can accomplish this:

Say, the fact table has 100 records. each record having a new account number (100 accounts in 100 records).

The problem is we have users who have to see only some accounts. For example, user 1 has to see only accounts 1-10, user 2 has to see only accounts 11-20, user 3 has to see only accounts 21-30. and so on...

I know we can create different roles and create perspectives for these roles, but the problem is the list that defines what they can see is a table of 1000 user entries, each row has its own conditions for each user type. (Actually, each condition is a combination of different dimensions. For example, user 1 has to see account 1-10 and products A-D)

Does anyone have any idea on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:05 PM

Answers

• Luckily the problem you describe is very common. So common it has it's own name, it is oftenly referred as "Dynamic Dimension Security".

There are quite a few articles about it. Here is one for you http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/mosha/archive/2004/12/16/5605.aspx 

Search for it, you will find quite a bit information.

Edward Melomed.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:12 AM

All replies

• Luckily the problem you describe is very common. So common it has it's own name, it is oftenly referred as "Dynamic Dimension Security".

There are quite a few articles about it. Here is one for you http://sqljunkies.com/WebLog/mosha/archive/2004/12/16/5605.aspx 

Search for it, you will find quite a bit information.

Edward Melomed.
    --
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 12:12 AM
  • Thanks Edward, I looked at it and I think thats what am looking for. will come back for your help if I cant figure something out :-)
    Thursday, September 14, 2006 4:24 PM