none
VS2012 not showing EF 6.x DbContext Generator in Add New Item-dialog RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have just installed EF6.0.1 ("install-package EntityFramework" succeeded and VS has updated my project references), but when I try to add a new item to my project VS2012 keeps offering me the "EF 5.x DbContext Generator".

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/data/jj613116.aspx states there IS templates for an "EF 6.x DbContext Generator". I have downloaded "EF 6.x Entity Object Generator"(for C# and C# web sites) as extensions which the aforementioned link says was outdated technology, but did not find any "EF 6.x DbContext Generator" there as well.

So, how do I get VS2012 to offer the "EF 6.x DbContext Generator" in the "Project"-"Add new item" dialog?

Thanks
    Mat

Saturday, October 26, 2013 2:31 PM

Answers

• I've had one more repair installation, and that fixed it. Huh. Anyway, thanks!
    • Marked as answer by ö Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:47 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Mat;

So you did download Entity Framework 6 Tools for Visual Studio 2012 and installed it with no luck?

Fernando (MCSD)

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:11 PM
  • Thank you Fernando,

Yes I had done that as well, with no change unfortunately.

Thanks
    Mat

• Edited by ö Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:58 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 10:57 PM
  • I've had one more repair installation, and that fixed it. Huh. Anyway, thanks!
    • Marked as answer by ö Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:47 PM
    Saturday, October 26, 2013 11:46 PM
  • I know this is an old post but just wanted to say that in my case I was missing the Enity Framework Tools for Visual Studio (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40762)

Thanks,
    Jake.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:14 PM
  • I'm having this problem (no EF 6.x DbContext Generator available) and I don't understand what your solution is.  I've searched around the NuGet interface in VS2012 for a "Repair Installation" command, and don't find one.  I've also un-installed and re-installed EF through the Package Manager Console.  No luck.
    • Edited by J.D. Ray Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:54 PM Added clarity.
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:40 PM