Categorising product backlog items

Question

• Hi,

I'm currently setting up a new project and thus filling the product backlog with a lot of items. I find it hard to keep track of the items because there seems to be little way of structuring these items in for instance categories. I know there's areas you can use, but there's no way (that I know of) of getting the area to display in the home > product backlog view?

I was wondering how others do this and make sure that the backlog is somewhat managable instead of one great big stack of items.

MCTS Web Application Development, SharePoint enthousiast.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. We have heard this feedback, and we have it on our backlog. It will not happen in Dev11.

Internally we also have long backlogs. We categorize our stories by adding stories to the backlog that are the buckets (or categories). When you want to add a story to a bucket, you can drag and drop the story over the work item id in the product backlog. This will create a hierarchy of your stories.

Note: A hierarchy only works on the product backlog and not on the iteration backlogs.

Ewald Hofman - TFS Program Manager

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:39 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ewald,

thanks for the info, very usefull! As for the bucket you mention; I assume that's the link functionality / parent-child items? Doesn't that mean that your entire bucket gets prioritised as a single block on the general backlog? Suppose I've got two buckets with each 5 items in them, but the last 2 items of bucket A are prioritised lower then the first two in bucket B. Hope that makes sense.

You mention this won't make dev11. Hows the release strategy for future versions? Can we expect shorter release times like on Office 365 (90 day cycles I think) for the online Service?

Thursday, December 15, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Yes it are parent-child relations. We tend to have a bucket for shorter or nearer term work to prioritize work for the upcoming weeks/months.

The strategy for future versions is not finalized, but indeed with the hosted service we are able to ship new features on a higher cadence than we were able to do in the past with a on-premise version only.

The epic-story (as we call this feature) is on our wish-list, but we cannot set any expectations yet. First priority for now is to finalize all the goodness in Dev11 and ship it to you guys.

Feel free though to add this to the user voice to build a case that it is a high priority feature for the next release.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:15 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ewald,

you mention the 'epic-story' is on the wish-list. Is there also a matching uservoice item already? Didn't find one, but maybe I'm overlooking and I don't want create an overlapping one alongside it.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:21 PM
  • No there is no one yet. Feel free to add a new one.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:40 PM
    Owner
  • Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:07 AM