Help - Blend 3 crash - Unable to open solution - Target Invocation Exception RRS feed

• Question

• Hello i've installed Blend 3 + Sketchflow, and Blend 3 SDK this week. I have a Silverlight project solution
     which is under source control, and it was opening and running fine on Blend 3 until today. 

No changes have been introduced, but since i've started my machine today, i get this fatal error and i cannot open my solution on Blend 3. 

I've read some post regarding similar issue a i've executed Blend 3 with /exceptionlog. Here's the resulting file.

Thank you.

Francisco

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 5:18 PM

Answers

• I have some additional input to provide.  My situation is practically identical to Francisco.  I have a solution in TFS and I was able to develop fine yesterday, but today I am getting the exception and it looks very similar to Francisco's.

If you need my dump file, let me know and I'll get it uploaded somehow.

I found a workaround that appears to circumvent the problem for me and may help to discover the fix to the bug.  If I open Expression Blend and then immediately attempt to open my solution that is in TFS, then I get the exception.  Yesterday while getting the hang of Expression I created a usercontrol solution outside of TFS and Visual Studio.  I tried opening it today and after opened just fine, I attempted to load my TFS solution and it worked!  I have repeated this several times and I get the same results: Open TFS solution first and the exception is thrown.  Open a non-source controlled solution first and then open the TFS solution and it works.

I hope this helps!
    Kris
    • Marked as answer by frantic0 Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Francisco,
                        It looks like you don't have correct version of Blend SDK Or Silverlight SDK installed on your machine. Please follow these steps and check if that solves your problem.

1. Uninstall Blend, Blend SDK and Silverlight SDK
    2. Install Blend 3 RTM again (This will install Blend 3 + Blend 3 SDK + Silverlight 3 SDK)

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hello, 

i did as you suggested. 

Uninstalled Blend, Blend SDK and Silverlight SDK, and also Silverlight3_Tools, Silverlight.exe

Installed Blend 3 RTM.

Still the same Target Invocation Exception problem. Here's the new generated dump file.

Kind regards,
    Francisco Bernardo
    Thursday, October 22, 2009 10:49 AM
  • Hi Francisco,
                        We are currently in process of investigating this issue and will keep you updated. Can you please tell us if you are running Blend with admin priviliges? Can you try running Blend as a different user and see if it works for you?

Thanks for helping with this.

Regards,
    Navit Saxena
    Friday, October 23, 2009 1:07 AM
  • I have some additional input to provide.  My situation is practically identical to Francisco.  I have a solution in TFS and I was able to develop fine yesterday, but today I am getting the exception and it looks very similar to Francisco's.

If you need my dump file, let me know and I'll get it uploaded somehow.

I found a workaround that appears to circumvent the problem for me and may help to discover the fix to the bug.  If I open Expression Blend and then immediately attempt to open my solution that is in TFS, then I get the exception.  Yesterday while getting the hang of Expression I created a usercontrol solution outside of TFS and Visual Studio.  I tried opening it today and after opened just fine, I attempted to load my TFS solution and it worked!  I have repeated this several times and I get the same results: Open TFS solution first and the exception is thrown.  Open a non-source controlled solution first and then open the TFS solution and it works.

I hope this helps!
    Kris
    • Marked as answer by frantic0 Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 12:21 PM
  • Hey Kris, thank you so much. This workaround really made our day ;).

Francisco
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 5:35 PM
  • Thanks Kris. I have this exact same behavior, except I'm using Rational ClearCase for source control! If I load my ClearCase-based project directly, Blend crashes. If I load a local "temp" project first, then load my CC-based project, it works fine.

Very strange, since I only just started having this problem today, and I can't remember making any changes to my machine in the last 24 hours.

Bill
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 1:29 AM
  • Hi Bill,
               Will it be possible for you to share a repro project with us? This will help us in investigating this issue. You can send the repro project at navits at microsoft dot com.

Thanks,
    Navit Saxena
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:26 AM