Initiate an FTP transfer from http request RRS feed

• Question

• User-1982082212 posted

I am trying to figure out how (if possible) to initiating an FTP transfer from an http request. 

Our current system has secure files.  These files reside outside of the site's folder, making them inaccessble via url.  By using a transfer page with ID of file to request, I verify security rights and initiate a file transfer using the HTTPResponse's BinaryWrite method.  All works great, but now we would like some files to be transfered via the FTP port connection as http pipe is one direction, where as ftp is bi-directional and transfer speeds are faster.

Any way of initiating an ftp transfer through an http request on aspx page?  Eventually too, this will be used to upload files as well as download.

Thanks,
    Malathan

Monday, June 13, 2005 6:28 PM

All replies

• User989702501 posted
    I assumed you mean calling a component on your aspx that will talk to a remote ftp server via ftp protocol? if yes, I think there's couple of .net components that you able to search via google.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2005 5:53 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    im trying to transfer files from remote ftp i have access to, to an email account is this possible?
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 3:55 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    Not as a direct step.  Wrong protocols.  But you could FTP to a local system, or any system you can reach with FSO or other means, then send the file to the account as an attachment.

Jeff
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 11:34 PM
  • User31425264 posted
    I found net2ftp.com and 01ftp.com that access the ftp through http and can send via zip the files i check to any email account. the problem is that net2ftp cannot handle large files (50mb)  and 01ftp.com can handle large files but wont connect to my ftp. im looking for any other similar service...any ideas?
    Wednesday, June 29, 2005 12:47 AM
  • User989702501 posted

Not sure, but you can't find one useful component here ?
    http://www.google.com.my/search?biw=1099&hl=en&q=.net+ftp+component&meta=

Thursday, June 30, 2005 10:14 PM
  • User31425264 posted
    im sorry i dont understand mutch of what they describe to do, plz help me more,,, can anyone?
    im not lame im just dont have any idea!

Friday, July 1, 2005 1:17 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    From my understanding, you are looking for some component that allow you to initiate ftp transfer inside http request. Say a .net component class that you can call in your asp.net app, right?

So, the google search result, has many .net components that you can choose.
    Friday, July 1, 2005 3:01 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    when u say component u mean i have to install an extra app?
    i dont have admin rights to do so , thats why www.net2ftp.com would work fine for me but unfortunatelly it doesnt due to that it cant handle big file sizes.

Friday, July 1, 2005 3:53 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Yes, there will be component for you to installed. In the case of net2ftp.com, it's a webbased client ftp software, I would assume you need to deploy the apps to your machine before you can use it, right ? I do a further search, have you seen www.web2ftp.com ? and if you like php, you can try http://www.raditha.com/php/ftp/
    Sunday, July 3, 2005 9:56 PM
  • User31425264 posted
    Thanx for those urls they are very helpfull... although the ultimate goal i needed was to be able to send the files (that are located on the remote ftp) to email. Any idea if thats possible? (i did check but just incase i missed something i ask u again)
    thanx again

Monday, July 4, 2005 12:57 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Are you saying. have a web page that able to send mail to a user and attach file? If yes, I think you can do it in asp / aspx and use cdosys mail component to send mail with file attachement.
    Monday, July 4, 2005 6:21 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    Im sorry i dont understand the "asp / aspx and use cdosys" stuff at all.
    Here is what i want to do...i want to transfer a 50mb file (many actually) from a remote ftp directly to a large email account (www.walla.com)

How do i do that without installing any components cause i have administrator rohibitions in installing things.
    If it was possible the net2ftp or web2ftp would really suit my needs, actually net2ftp is better since it sends to email. Only pros is that it cant send sutch big files like the ones i need!
    I hope u get the picture now. Plz if u have any suggestions plz i need a lot of help to understand them. I haveno clue what u said before about the "
    asp / aspx and use cdosys" stuff!!!
    Thanx for your help though its welcome!!!   :o)
    Monday, July 4, 2005 6:33 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    I was saying that you can use asp or aspx application which uses a mail component 'cdosys' and send out the file via email. But since you can't install additional component, not sure if your hoster support that. I think I know what you are looking for now, but it's best to talk to your isp and tell them your requirement. See if they have better suggestion to do it. I believe most hoster will provide email component for email purposes.
    Monday, July 4, 2005 11:27 PM
  • User31425264 posted
    i cannot contact isp cause i have no authorization to do so. im in a company and all rules are set by the administrator, but to even ask the admmin sthings like this is beyond my terretory. itsa bureaucratic stuff i have to do papers etc. so i prefer to just bend the rules and do my job nicely, legit and fast without askin anyone.

despite i apreciate ur intrest in my case...i still need help!!   :o(

Tuesday, July 5, 2005 3:18 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    I'm not sure how to you in this case. The web2ftp can't handle file? if not, then you need to google somemore... next. it would be wiser to talk to the hoster rather than doing things that might break the hosting agreement. That's the only thing I can think of now.......
    Tuesday, July 5, 2005 4:33 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    I cant use web2ftp for two reasons...one (main reason): is it cannot transfer/download bigger files than 20mb and two: it wont trasfer directly to large email accounts!
    Email is the only way to download files from the net (or any other http download) so if i manage to get my files (that are on the ftp) on email then i can download them. U see the admin has blocked ftp access! So its like i live in London and want to go to Berlin and instead of going there directly i have to go through Tokio first!!!

Thats what im trying to do...did i manage to explain it fully to u now? Do u understand what i have to do??? Plz tell me u do...i cannot rely on anyone these days!!!

h e l p !

Tuesday, July 5, 2005 4:55 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    Okay, so you want to initiate an FTP transfer from HTTP that has to be through SMTP?  This just ain't gonna work.  It would be much simpler to write an email page, using CDO or a mail component such as SMTPMail, and send yourself the file as an attachment.  If you had said that FTP was blocked by the administrator, we'd have been able to tell you this quite a few messages ago.

Or, do this the way your organization allows it.  Go through the process of getting your transfer approved and configured by the network admin.

Jeff
    Tuesday, July 5, 2005 12:14 PM
  • User31425264 posted
    somefriend told me about WINSCP3
    can i do something with it
    Tuesday, July 5, 2005 5:24 PM
  • User989702501 posted
    Thanks Jeff, maybe I have problem explaining my viewpoints :) 

Anyway, back to the question. if ftp is block, no matter what you use. you can't use ftp protocol from http component, etc. Coz it's blocked. I did a simple search on winscp3. it look like a secure ftp client program. again this is ftp. Unless it's using the port that your network admin is not blocking, if not, i don't see any different.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2005 6:03 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    ok, guys.. i figured out a plan b. i will use my home pc to do the trasferring from the remote ftp to the email. at my home pc i can install stuff but there is a catch at home im dialup speed, at work i am T1. does this have an effect on the transfering process? or is it true that the only thing that matters to be fast is how fast the remote ftp will be (thats by the way T1 too).

So getting it all in the table again. I have remote T1 ftp of which i want to trasfer its files to my email account (www.walla.com). For initiating the trasfer i will be using my home pc which connects at dialup speed only. I will have to transfer 20GB of files in total. Does my dialup speed have anything to do with the transfering speed?

Lets get started guys, i hope we can finish this here, ive lost many years from my life for this and also ive grown a dozen new gray hair on my head!
    H e l p !

p.s. i apreciate enormously the intrest!!!!!

Wednesday, July 6, 2005 6:36 AM
  • User989702501 posted
    Thanks for the update.
    Thursday, July 7, 2005 1:45 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    u think we can work something out...or are u guys fed up with me, cause to tell u the truth on this post i really tired u guys, i know it, im greatefull for the intrest and im sorry!
    Thursday, July 7, 2005 3:48 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    Two problems:

> I have remote T1 ftp of which i want to trasfer its files to my email account (www.walla.com).

You still can't do this.  You can't FTP to a mail server.  It's like trying to take the train to your boat on the river.  Two modes of transportation that don't use the same method and can't get to each other.

>  ...i will be using my home pc which connects at dialup speed only. I will have to transfer 20GB of files in total.

Assuming a clean phone connection, 20 GB over dial-up will take you about 20,000 minutes, or 333 hours and 20 minutes.  Or more than 13 days of continuous connection.  Using the home PC for nothing else.

Buy a DVD burner and burn the four or five DVD's you'll need to transfer this data, then stick it in your coat pocket.  Or better, a USB or Firewire external drive.

Jeff
    Thursday, July 7, 2005 8:43 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    Jeff and everyone first of all thanx for all the intrest, this topic has taking a big trip but it seems a little funny... im afraid we will never sort this out...we are going in circles, and im resposible for this hillarious topic anyway!!!

1. >> well according to www.net2ftp.com i can send from ftp to email directly, but this service unfortunatelly has a limited file send that prevents me from doing the 50mb files i have.
    Anyone knowing anyother similar service that can?

2. >>like i said in all of my earlier posts the ftp is remote (its about 4.000km away from me), empty dvd solution is not an option if it was i wouldnt think about it  :o)
    my main question on the dialup thing was concering the www.net2ftp.com service, or anyother similar service. So real question is if i was able to send my files from ftp to email via my home computer who would be charged of the trasfer speed? my dialup speed or the http service that would carry out the transfer/send to email command? is it anything like when making fxp transfers?

Thursday, July 7, 2005 9:19 AM
  • User-1853252149 posted
    1. >> well according to www.net2ftp.com i can send from ftp to email directly, but this service unfortunatelly has a limited file send that prevents me from doing the 50mb files i have.

net2ftp.com is a service you can install on your own web server, written in PhP and Java.  The administrator can configure the file limits.  If you use the service configured at net2ftp.com, it's configured for 50 MB a day.  I did not know net2ftp could send to email, and I can't find anywhere on the site that says it can.  But since it is it's own FTP application, it could be written to make the transfer.

2. >> ...So real question is if i was able to send my files from ftp to email via my home computer who would be charged of the trasfer speed? my dialup speed or the http service that would carry out the transfer/send to email command?

Good question to ask the net2ftp folks, but I would think it's your home system unless you trigger a system to system FTP.

All of this is possible.  But you don't have access to the servers to configure the service and you're unwilling to work with those who do have the access.  You're basically stuck, and there is no Microsoft IIS or FTP option that can help you.  There may be services which can, but those you'll need to find on your own.

Jeff
    Friday, July 8, 2005 10:32 AM
  • User31425264 posted
    -----\net2ftp.com is a service you can install on your own web server, written in PhP and Java.  The administrator can configure the file limits.  If you use the service configured at net2ftp.com, it's configured for 50 MB a day.  I did not know net2ftp could send to email, and I can't find anywhere on the site that says it can.  But since it is it's own FTP application, it could be written to make the transfer. ----

it can send to email using the ZIP feature, but it cant send a 50mb file at once, its like u said daily file capacity

---- Good question to ask the net2ftp folks, but I would think it's your home system unless you trigger a system to system FTP. ----

The whole point is to trigger something like fxping from one place to another onlyi want to make it from ftp to email

---- All of this is possible.  But you don't have access to the servers to configure the service and you're unwilling to work with those who do have the access.  You're basically stuck, and there is no Microsoft IIS or FTP option that can help you.  There may be services which can, but those you'll need to find on your own. ----

I wish someone could point me to sutch a direction!!! I cant find anything else!!! I guess im still at zero...anyone to help???
    Friday, July 8, 2005 5:18 PM