Azure Stack - Missing items in marketplace RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I managed to install Azure Stack in ADFS mode (disconnected) for testing purposes (personal lab). I haven't used it before so I may be doing things the wrong way or skipping steps.

I notice that I don't have the ability to create VMs from the admin portal or the client portal (on a fresh installation). I read that I need to download/install missing items (e.g: Offers + Plans) from the marketplace and I need an Azure account.

My questions are:

1- How can I get those missing items to appear ?Do I really need a Azure account to do so ? 

2- What is the purpose of the internet, knowing I am in a "disconnected" scenario ?

3- If i were to deploy ADFS within a company's datacenter, how would the billing/licensing work ?

Regards,

David

Monday, September 10, 2018 4:54 PM

All replies

• You need to register Azure Stack with Azure which allows you to download marketplace items from Azure and to set up commerce data reporting back to Microsoft.

Azure Stack in a disconnected mode, you use PowerShell and the marketplace syndication tool to download the marketplace items to a machine with internet connectivity. You then transfer the items to your Azure Stack environment. In a disconnected environment, you can’t download marketplace items by using the Azure Stack portal.

Refer the document section Disconnected or a partially connected scenario for more details.

Yes, in Azure Stack disconnected deployment, you are limited to an AD FS identity store and the capacity-based billing model.

For registering Azure Stack in a disconnected environment (with no internet connectivity), you need to get a registration token from the Azure Stack environment and then use that token on a computer that can connect to Azure and has PowerShell for Azure Stack installed. Yes, you need an Azure account.

Checkout the document Register disconnected with capacity billing for more details.

Typically, the disconnected scenario is chosen for the following scenarios:

• Have security or other restrictions that require you to deploy Azure Stack in an environment that is not connected to the Internet.
    • Want to block data (including usage data) from being sent to Azure.
    • Want to use Azure Stack purely as a private cloud solution that is deployed to your corporate Intranet and aren’t interested in hybrid scenarios.

Refer the document Azure disconnected deployment planning decisions for Azure Stack integrated systems for more details.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this answer was helpful, click “Mark as Answer” and Up-Vote. To provide additional feedback on your forum experience, click here

Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:38 AM