none
an error has occurred during report processing. query execution failed for data set 'dataset' from ReportViewer only in IIS7.0 RRS feed

• Question

• This is a deployment issue which needs a immediate resolution . background :

I am trying to deploy a webapplication containing a ReportViewer Control [SP1 V 9.0.x] on a box which is running Windows Server 2008 and IIS 7.0 . after deployment I faced some issues with report viewer control
    exactly as described in : http://blogs.iis.net/webtopics/archive/2009/02/10/report-viewer-toolbar-does-not-render-properly-on-iis-7-0.aspx which I resolved . After this , when i try to run the reports on web app on the reportviewer control it shows :

An error has occurred during report processing.
    o Query execution failed for data set 'dataset'.
     For more information about this error navigate to
    the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote
    errors

Pls note , the reports work on the Report Management tool, the report is also displayed successfully on a machine that runs IIS 6.0 or lesser but only when the webserver is IIS 7.0 the issue occurs ......

Pls help me . Any help on this will be whole heartedly appreciated .

Thanks
    Anand R

Friday, October 23, 2009 2:00 PM

Answers

• After much struggle , eventually captured the root cause of the issue and resolved . There were few things  that I tried inorder to fit my case but not all might be relevant in the context of this thread which should benifit anyone searching on this issue . But the main areas to watch out for when you moving your application containing a reportviewer to a new environment [like testing/production]  :

1.  Migrate your ASP.NET application's config from IIS 6.0 to IIS 7.0 by doing the "Appcmd.exe" from the Command line: 

> appcmd migrate config "<your site name>/" 

after that verify your config if it contains the entries as mentioned in  http://blogs.iis.net/webtopics/archive/2009/02/10/report-viewer-toolbar-does-not-render-properly-on-iis-7-0.aspx

2.  Before deploying your ASP.NET application , be sure of the version to identify the versions of these dll files in GAC [Global Assembly Cache] : 

Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll , Microsoft.ReportViewer.Design.dll, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll /Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll [depending on the type of your application whether it is ASP.NET, windows application]

Here , note that all these dll files should be of Version 9.0.X if you used VS 2008 and while targeting your deployment to a machine with Windows Vista; Windows XP use the Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008

Whereas , while targeting your deploy to a machine with Windows Server 2003; Windows Server 2008; Windows Vista; Windows XP use Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 SP1

Incase you had used VS 2005 it should be of Version 8.0.X and while targeting your deployment to a machine with Windows 2000; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP use theMicrosoft Report Viewer 2005

In the same context , while targeting your deploy to machine to any different OS [actually the list too long. so visit the link for more info] you can use Microsoft ReportViewer 2005 SP1 redistributable . So careful evaluate these options to fit your case, post installation verify the GAC on your server to ensure you've got the right version in .

3.  Also remember for those who need to use 'Windows Authentication' on IIS 7.0 . Remember to perform "Add Server Role" to include Windows Authentication as it will not be present by default . This might have an impact as your report viewer in this case will use defaultcredentials when invoking the report.

4. Then finally , if your report viewer controls displays correctly but displays errors within the result area. Probably double check if you have set the 'ReportServerCredentials' property of your reportviewer , usually it might be an authentication issue .

I will be glad if this really helps someone who is searching for an answer , because I have spent one long night to get these aspects of the ASP.NET - ReportViewer Code straightened out .

Cheers
    Anand

Anand R

Saturday, October 24, 2009 1:03 PM