none
how do I close the task manager?

Question

•  

This isn't a development question. I am hoping someone will know what is going on with the task manager in my installation of Vista. None of the three buttons are displayed in the top right corner of the task manager window.  Usually

there are buttons that will allow you to minimize, restore down and close a window.

My task manager doesn't show this. I am the administrator on my installation. It allows me to open the task manager but

no way to close it. I have eventried opening another instance of the task manager to close the origianl one but I always have an instance remaining that I can't close. I have to shut down the machine to make it go away.

I have used xp and it's task manager but have never had this problem.  Does anyone know how I can make this visible?

............................................................very strange

Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• Tiny Footprint mode? See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=193050.

--Johannes

--
    http://int3.de

Monday, January 14, 2008 10:38 AM
  • viruses???

the file taskmgr.exe can be corrupted, did you try to replace it with one working from another machine???

it can be Windows register problem, try create a new account user in your Windows Xp

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:45 AM
  • Double click on the border. You're in 'small footprint' mode
    Wednesday, April 02, 2008 9:10 PM
  • OMG, thank you for asking new, and thank you for answering correctly Bapzzy.  Now I feel so stupid lol.   I too had the same problem, rebooted, ran virus scan, all thinking something was corrupted and all it was is silly me that's new to Vista and clueless!

Thanks again, you rock!
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Thanks you guys.  This has been bothering me for about 2 weeks.  I finally googled it and found this thread!
    Sunday, July 05, 2009 12:47 AM
  • Thank you so much!  this has been bothering me ever since I switched to Vista two years ago! 
    Monday, August 17, 2009 4:00 PM
  •  

Esc.  

I came on here looking for an answer to the same problem :)

Then just pressed Esc  and it closed.

The small footprint thing is right but Esc works just fine :)

• Proposed as answer by LilEm Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:37 PM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:36 PM