AD Forms Authentication problems on IIS RRS feed

• Question

• User66647359 posted

I have read other posts on the subject, but not one that specifically addresses the issue I am running into here.  I have created an asp.net 2.0 membership site that uses forms authentication against active directory.  I can run the program just fine through the visual studio web server, but I am running into some problems once I publish the site to any IIS.  (I tried publishing to my local IIS, windows XP, and to the a servers IIS, windows 2003.)

When it is running on the IIS site, and I type in a valid username and password, I get the login screen again, with no error message.  Looking at the event viewer, there is no entries.  Although when I type in either an invalid password or username, I get the error message, "Your login attempt was not successful. Please try again." and there is an entry in the event viewer that the "Membership credential verification failed."

This behavior leads me to believe that it is not the application but Active Directory that is the problem.  Although I'm not an active directory expert, and no one else in my organization is either, so I'm stuck at not knowing what or where to look at.  Or maybe it is the application, and I am just too dense to see the problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Thursday, March 8, 2007 12:18 PM

All replies

• User300685930 posted

I'm not much of an active directory expert either, but one thing that often has happened to me is I get the error and think it's a password problem and it turns out out to be a member not approved or member not valid error.

HTH's, and sorry I couldn't be much more help. 

Monday, March 12, 2007 7:58 PM