none
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Recently bought a game (Terraria) and after installing it, I'm asked to download two extra things.  The first is Micosoft .NET Framework 4.  It gets to a Download Progress of "netfx_Extended.mzz" and ceases to progress (waiting for +1 hr).

If I close the downloading process through Task Manager it goes onto step 2 and that finished within five minutes.  Then the game starts and seems to run fine.

The .NET Framework 4 will then begin to try and install a few minutes after the game has started and will always try and install when I restart the game.  I can still use the Task Manager (not alt+F4) to close it but the installation has yet to get any further.

Running on Vista through Steam.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:23 AM

Answers

• Hi LetsOlympics,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Based on your description, it seems like you have installed .NET Framework 4 Client Profile already, so the installation intended to install .NET Framework 4 Extended. For some reasons, the installation of .NET Framework 4 Extended failed.

I recommend you check if the .NET Framework 4 Extended is in the Control Panel or not. If it is, please try to uninstall it. If it is not, I recommend you uninstall .NET Framework 4 Client Profile in Control Panel. Then reboot and reinstall .NET Framework 4 Full: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

If the same symptom appears again, please try MVP’s suggestions to verify the .NET Framework 4 by .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:37 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:23 AM

All replies

• If the game requires .NET Framework 4.0 and "seems to run fine", then you should check your installed programs list for entries that begin with:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

Please show all such entries on your system.

What Service Packs do yu have installed for Vista?

To check the integrity of the .NET Frameworks on the machine in question, run this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx

Post the first 20 lines and last 20 lines of the tool output here.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi LetsOlympics,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Based on your description, it seems like you have installed .NET Framework 4 Client Profile already, so the installation intended to install .NET Framework 4 Extended. For some reasons, the installation of .NET Framework 4 Extended failed.

I recommend you check if the .NET Framework 4 Extended is in the Control Panel or not. If it is, please try to uninstall it. If it is not, I recommend you uninstall .NET Framework 4 Client Profile in Control Panel. Then reboot and reinstall .NET Framework 4 Full: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=17718

If the same symptom appears again, please try MVP’s suggestions to verify the .NET Framework 4 by .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool.

If you have any other concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, January 4, 2012 3:37 AM
    Friday, December 30, 2011 5:23 AM