The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Resize VM A0 basic to A1 basic RRS feed

• Question

• Regards,

We have a virtual machine that has run out of RAM memory, we need to increase from a basic A0 to A1. We want to make this increase, but we are afraid that we lose the information stored in the VM, as I read we can lose all the information of this VM. 

Our disk is a standard HDD of 30 GB and this disk is safe on group resources

Thanks for the help

• Edited by Lmruiz Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:57 AM
    Wednesday, November 13, 2019 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Lmruiz,

You wont loose data when you resize. Only the data stored on the temporary disk will be lost.

Data on the OS disk will remain as it is and the same disk will be used for the new size which you are going to choose.

As a best practice, you can take a snapshot of the disk as the backup before performing size change.

You can also use azure backup to backup the VM's periodically and restore then when needed.

For the benefit of the community, Please click on "mark as answer" for the reply which solved your problem

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 11:55 AM
  • Hi Lmruiz,

You wont loose data when you resize. Only the data stored on the temporary disk will be lost.

Data on the OS disk will remain as it is and the same disk will be used for the new size which you are going to choose.

As a best practice, you can take a snapshot of the disk as the backup before performing size change.

You can also use azure backup to backup the VM's periodically and restore then when needed.

For the benefit of the community, Please click on "mark as answer" for the reply which solved your problem

Thank you for your input.

when I make a command to see the size of disk tells me the next output:
    dev/sda1 -> 30 GB with 21 Gb available
    dev/sdb1 -> 20 GB with 19 GB available

I understand sdb1 is the temporary disk here, is that correct?

Thank you for recommending such practices to me.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 12:24 PM
  • Yes. generally sdb1 will be the temporary disk. 

You can confirm that by using the below command.

df -h

and check where sdb1 is mounted. and in that mount point a data loss warning file will be there. You can remove it as well.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:22 AM
  • Just check in the portal how many disks are attached to the VM. Temporary drive doesn't show in the portal, based on the allocated size you can confirm which one is OS drive and which one is temporary drive. 

Just check if you have any data in the temporary drive if so move it to the different drive after that you can safely change the VM size so there will not be any data loss. 

• Proposed as answer by Anwesh Patukuri Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:58 AM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 5:25 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" on the answer that helped you for benefit of community.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" on the answer that helped you for benefit of community.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:35 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

Thanks.
    Friday, November 29, 2019 10:11 AM