Avoiding Autodiscovery RRS feed

• Question

• I am setting up push subscriptions for 5000 mailboxes. With multiple CAS servers it's taking an average of 150mS just to AutoDiscover the EWS URL for each mailbox.

I do have the objectGUID for each mailbox and so can easily access AD for various attributes. Given that is there a way to resolve or deduce the EWS URL via AD?

Failing that, is it reasonable to AutoDiscover the URL for mailbox A and then deduce that mailbox B will have the same URL if the msExchHomeServer attributes is the same for both mailboxes?

Alan

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 10:49 PM

All replies

• I think msExchHomeServer gives you the MBX server.  Have you tried just using the same CAS server for all mailboxes?  Or finding some way to spread the load if necessary?  I'd guess that any of the mailboxes could use any of the CAS servers for the EWS requests.

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

Wednesday, July 18, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Hi Lee,

In a mixed Exchange 2007/2010 environment one has to use a 2007 CAS for 2007 hosted mailboxes and a 2010 CAS for the 2010 hosted mailboxes.

That's why I was thinking that for a given mailbox I could probe each CAS server returned from SCP until I get the EWS URL (usual AutoDiscover process). I would then record that URL against the mailboxes msExchHomeServer.

When moving to the next mailbox in the list check the msExchHomeServer to EWS URL map if it's empty then run Autodiscover again and populate the map.In this way I only have to run AutoDiscover N times where N is the number of mailbox stores.

Alan
    Friday, July 20, 2012 1:03 PM
  • In that case, your plan seems reasonable.  I didn't know you had a mixed environment.

Mobile OWA For Smartphone
    www.leederbyshire.com
    email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m

Friday, July 20, 2012 1:27 PM