Visual Studio connecting to my Azure RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've basically created my own C++ window form application on Visual Studios and when I change and publish this application I want it to check for updates before starting up, how would I go about making this work, at the moment I cannot see how I would connect this to my Azure or what services I need to have.

Sorry if this is not the right sub forum, I literally have no idea what service I would need to make this possible. I don't want to use a Web App, I want a normal application on local machines.

• Edited by sambbailey Friday, November 1, 2019 11:32 AM
    Friday, November 1, 2019 11:32 AM

Answers

• Well it's hard to know the specifics of your scenario being limited to discussing it in a forum but I don't think there is a single solution. Rather there are lots of options you can have to host a C# application or to simply upload the application to. Both in Azure and other platforms. Further, depending on what you application does and how it is configured will determine where you want to publish it to. You could even host it locally on a server if needed. 

I personally would suggest you build out a workflow of what you want to achieve then start doing research on platforms that would be idea for hosting your application. 

You can also try posting on Stack Overflow as there is a large community of developers who might be able to help. However note, that you likely will want to include code snippets and elaborate on the end scenario to avoid being downvoted on that platform. 

It really comes down to you having to do the research into different services to determine the best fit as you are the one who knows how your application works and where it would be fit. 

If looking further into Azure I suggest going to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/

and from there you can browse all the services and start to determine where you app will fit best 

You can also check the solutions tab to get further ideas

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/solutions/

I know it's not a precise answer but there are lots of solutions you can go with

• Marked as answer by sambbailey Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:52 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 4:51 PM

All replies

• Are you deploying an application inside a Virtual Machine? Can you share some more details about your setup and your processes? Also, if you are following any documentation please share. 
    Friday, November 1, 2019 7:23 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?
    Just checking in if you got a chance to check the previous reply.
    Can you please provide the requested information for better assisting you with the issue.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 5:32 PM
  • Hi sorry for the late reply, I made a Virtual Machine but I do not know how to connect to this via FTP, there is no information telling me how to connect via FTP for me to then deploy my application to it.
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 11:04 AM
  • Hi,

I've created a C# application form on Visual Studios and I want to deploy my application to a server or something which allows user when opening the application to be prompted with an update to install but at this moment they have to re-install the application to be able to get the new version. I'm really new to all of this stuff and I really like Azure but I don't know what product I need to make this work.

It seems as if there is only information for web application which is what I don't want to do. It's an EXE application for a local computer but when I release a new update I want it to check for an update on a shared server on Azure.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 11:07 AM
  • We don't have much as official documentation on FTP as it is not really just a VM thing. More of an IIS thing inside of a VM if that is what you are looking for. 

This external link might help

https://cloudmonix.com/blog/how-to-setup-ftp-on-azure-virtual-machine/

And to confirm, you want to check for an update on the users machine? So it tells them if they need to update it? If you are just hosting an executable for users you could likely use a webapp and a storage account or possibly a GitHub repo instead of hosting in a VM. I don't really see how a VM fits into your needs. 

Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:02 PM
  • I didn't know what subforum to put this in but all I need is somewhere I can Publish my C# application too so that other users can update it rather then having to reinstall the application to get the new version.

I just need to know what things I need to get in order to get this because I'm really new to this kind of stuff and I have no idea what I need to make this work.

Friday, November 8, 2019 12:45 PM
  • Well it's hard to know the specifics of your scenario being limited to discussing it in a forum but I don't think there is a single solution. Rather there are lots of options you can have to host a C# application or to simply upload the application to. Both in Azure and other platforms. Further, depending on what you application does and how it is configured will determine where you want to publish it to. You could even host it locally on a server if needed. 

I personally would suggest you build out a workflow of what you want to achieve then start doing research on platforms that would be idea for hosting your application. 

You can also try posting on Stack Overflow as there is a large community of developers who might be able to help. However note, that you likely will want to include code snippets and elaborate on the end scenario to avoid being downvoted on that platform. 

It really comes down to you having to do the research into different services to determine the best fit as you are the one who knows how your application works and where it would be fit. 

If looking further into Azure I suggest going to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/

and from there you can browse all the services and start to determine where you app will fit best 

You can also check the solutions tab to get further ideas

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/solutions/

I know it's not a precise answer but there are lots of solutions you can go with

• Marked as answer by sambbailey Wednesday, November 27, 2019 9:52 AM
    Friday, November 8, 2019 4:51 PM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2019 9:08 AM
  • Hello,

Any update on the issue?

If the suggested response helped you resolve your issue, do click on "Mark as Answer" and "Up-Vote" for the answer that helped you for benefit of the community.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019 8:51 AM