How to send "read receipt" when receiving message via mail (POP3)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I want to receive mail (POP3 adapter) and send a read receipt to the sender after I have processed the mail in an orchestration. If there is no out of the box ways to do it I'm sure the read receipt must conform to some standard but I'm at a loss as to where to start.

How can it be done?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 1:24 PM

Answers

• Oh, it looks like biztalk automatically sends read receipt if the sender has requested one. There isn't even a way to avoid sending it. How's that for out of the box functionality :)
    • Marked as answer by Johan Rex Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Johan

Not sure if this will be a valid suggestion.

As soon as you receive an email through POP3 ,u can use SMTP to send a reponse (read receipt) back to the sender.

Not sure if POP3 Adapter has OOB support for this.

Regards

Sullu.

Please mark as answer if this solved the issue.Thanks
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Yes I was counting on having to use smtp to send the receipt.

But I don't know how to format the mail so that the sender will interpret it as a "read receipt". You know, the feature in e.g. outlook that the mail is marked as read for the sender. Some people send mails that requests you to send a read receipt when you open it. So I can't just send any random mail like "Yes I got your mail, kbyethx". It has to be a read receipt so that outlook or whatever is in the sender's end will actually treat it like a read receipt.

I'm replacing an old system with biztalk and the old system used read receipts to notify the sending system that the mail was processed. Right now my system is a black hole to the sender, they don't know if I did anything with the mail. Sending a regular mail back won't work with the sending system. It expects a read receipt.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I could understand the situation.

Either you can simulate the format from old system or else you can let outlook(if this is your mail client) to take care of the read receipt.

Which means you can download & install some of the available tools to send read receipt & configure it with your outlook.As soon your outlook receives the mail through POP3 Adapter, it can send a read receipt.But it is purely Non-BizTalk.Does this makes any sense ?

Regards,

Sullu 

Please mark as answer if this solved the issue.Thanks
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Either you can simulate the format from old system or else you can let outlook(if this is your mail client) to take care of the read receipt.

If BT already polls the POP3 mail account I don't see how I can get Outlook into the picture. I assume a read receipt must come from the mail address that is receiving the mail or I get relay errors from the mail server.

The only alternative I have come up with is to somehow construct a message that is interpreted as a read receipt. Some quick searches seem to indicate that the message must conform to RFC 2298. I guess I have to read that in order to figure it out.

• Marked as answer by Johan Rex Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:12 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Johan Rex Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:13 AM
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Oh, it looks like biztalk automatically sends read receipt if the sender has requested one. There isn't even a way to avoid sending it. How's that for out of the box functionality :)
    • Marked as answer by Johan Rex Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:12 AM