none
Service pack and recompilation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am wondering if we need to recompile an application after the installation of a service pack.

Our context : a "big" ASP.Net application with .Net remoting and COM+...
    Today, the dev environment and production environment are running under .Net Framework 2.0 SP 1.
    We use Visual Studio 2005
    The client wants to apply the .Net framework 2.0 SP 2 (maybe in 10 years for the .Net 4.0 :-) ).

In 2 words, can we apply the service pack and not deliver the application ?

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Jpcamalot,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that your applications don't involve the changes mentioned in the link that I posted above.

As far as I know, there seems to be no big changes for the CLR of handling threads between .NET 2.0 SP1 and SP2. I also checked the link (List of the issues that are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2), there seems to be no indication about thread handling.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Jpcamalot,

As far as I know, the compatibility goal for the .Net Framework is that applications and components from previous versions should work smoothly on the latest .Net Framework, except for a set of known changes.

The .NET Framework has two main components: the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library. The common language runtime is the foundation of the .NET Framework. .NET Framework 2.0 uses CLR version 2.0.

For the service pack of .NET Framework, it usually contains some fixes from the original .NET Framework.
    For more information on issues that are fixed in .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack, please see:
    .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945757
    .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958481/

Thus, generally speaking, your .NET 2.0 application that is running under .NET 2.0 SP1 should work on the machine with .NET 2.0 SP2 installed.

I'm not quite familiar with your ASP.NET application. To ensure that it can be run properly on the machine with .NET 2.0 SP2 installed, it would be better that you can test your application on one machine with .NET 2.0 SP2 before you deliver the application.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:52 AM typo
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:51 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for the return.

I had already check the "what's new" articles and our application is concerned by none of these points.

I specially wonder about changes in the CLR (how the IL code is executed under the CLR).

For example, is there any changes in the handle of threads in the service pack 2 ?
    In this example (threads issues), the tests are very hard to produce and, in general, arise only in production with very special scenarii...

I think that the risks are quite limited for the .NET Framework class library and can be tested but I worry about the changes of behaviour in the CLR

Best regards

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 9:02 AM
  • Hi Jpcamalot,

Thank you for your post.

Based on your description, it seems that your applications don't involve the changes mentioned in the link that I posted above.

As far as I know, there seems to be no big changes for the CLR of handling threads between .NET 2.0 SP1 and SP2. I also checked the link (List of the issues that are addressed by the Application Compatibility Update for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2), there seems to be no indication about thread handling.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:39 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:10 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for you response.

A more precise question :

Is the Bytecode produced by the .net framework 2.0 SP 2 the same than the bytecode produced by the .net framework 2.0 SP 1

(in fact, the complilation and deployement of our solution is a big constraint and we have to be 100% that the compilation is necessary or not)

Thanks by advance

Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:53 PM
  • Hi Jpcamalot,

Thank you for your reply.

For this question, I'm not familiar with it. It looks like that you want to know some changes on the internals of .NET Framework.
    This forum is for the support of .NET Framework installation. I'm not the expert on that. I'm not quite sure but you could try Common Language Runtime forum to get more useful help.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Hi Jpcamalot,

I've marked my reply as answer. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice week!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:39 AM