none
How to add Custom controls in Visual Studio 2015 Preview 5?

Question

• Hi Everyone,

We are having some custom assemblies, developed with WPF controls. We can able to configure the custom assemblies in Visual Studio 2015 toolbox by adding the custom assemblies path in below registry entry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\ToolboxControlsInstaller

Now we have installed Visual Studio's latest update preview 5 in a new machine and we need to configure the toolbox with our custom assemblies. But while looking for the above registry entry, there is no such entry in registry.

But we can manually configure the toolbox in Visual Studio update preview 5 by creating a new tab and adding our custom controls to it. No problems in it. But we need to configure the controls in toolbox programmatically (like using C# console application)

Could anyone please direct us in the proper way to configure our custom controls is Visual Studio 15 Preview 5 toolbox programmatically ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mohamed Yasir K

Thursday, October 20, 2016 2:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Mohamed Yasir,

According to your description, I have installed VS2015 update 3 and VS15 preview 5, but I have not found the registry in above registry you posted.

>>Now we have installed Visual Studio's latest update preview 5 in a new machine

Does the Visual Studio's latest update preview 5 means VS15 (not VS 2015)?

And I have not found VS2015 Toolbox registry in my machine, but I have found toolbox registry key for VS2015 Blend from the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\14.0\Toolbox\.NETFramework\v4.0\BlendLibraries

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Expression\Blend\14.0\Toolbox\.NETFramework\v4.5\BlendLibraries

You could try to add the custom controls to above registry and to observe whether it exists in VS2015. According to the above registries, you will find the physical path in "C:\...", you could copy your .dll files to the physical path and open VS to observe whether it exists.

>>But we can manually configure the toolbox in Visual Studio update preview 5 by creating a new tab and adding our custom controls to it.

Which type project you have created. And please share me detailed steps to implement this process (in VS2015 or VS15 preview 5?).

Sincerely,

Oscar

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 7:15 AM
  • Hi Oscarw,

Thanks for your update. 

Our question is how to add custom controls by programmatic in VS15 Preview 5 ?

In previous version of Visual Studio (2015,2013,2012,2010,2008), we have created the ToolboxControlsInstaller key under below registry and then add our controls like below structure. 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0

But VS 15, we unable to get the below registry entry and our custom controls not configured. 

Can you please provide your suggestion to add the custom control in VS 15 preview 5 toolbox by programmatic ?

Thanks in advance. 

Manoj

Monday, November 07, 2016 3:15 PM
  • Hi Manoj,

Actually this is an unsupported pre-release version of Visual Studio, but product team sincerely wants to collect community members' feedbacks and suggestions for this version. I help you report this issue through the VS report tool under the VS IDE Help menu. If I get any latest information, I will share it here.

Of course, you could also report the VS15 Preview 5 feedback and feature request like John Montgomery's suggestion here(under title "Try it out"):

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visualstudio/2016/10/05/announcing-visual-studio-15-preview-5/

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 08, 2016 11:50 AM