none
SQL Server 2016 : Number of processors

Question

• Hi All,

We need to install sql server 2016. In documentation, I culd see the we need 64 bit processors and recommended is 2 GHz or more. But what about number of processors.

What are the parameters that determine the number of processors required. Is it db size, sql edition or feature list installed. How are they interrelated together.

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Bhawna

Monday, December 19, 2016 1:15 PM

All replies

• The CPU requirement is dependent on query usage, not size of the database or SQL Server itself.  You will need to test it in your scenario and figure out what you need.  However, number of CPUs is rarely a bottleneck in SQL Server.

Monday, December 19, 2016 3:42 PM
  • SQL Edition does have hardware limitations, so be aware of that if using Standard.  Aside from that, Tom's answer is correct...it depends on how you will be using it.  I'd want to see average 30-50% full cpu utilization during a moderate to heavy workload...but that is a personal preference.

Memory is king in SQL Server...I would focus my money on maximizing memory, then CPU, then disk speed :)

SQL 2016 Feature comparisons

22 years of database experience, most with SQL Server. Please 'Mark as answered' those posts that helped you.

Kevin3NF on Twitter
    DallasDBAs

• Edited by KevinBHill Monday, December 19, 2016 3:53 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 3:51 PM