Bug and license expired RRS feed

• Question

• User54537 posted

Hi I have a question regarding license.. Lets say i buy a license and then submit a app. Then my license expires. What if there comes a new iOS version which makes my app crash. Do i then have to pay 999 to fix the error?

Regards

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:14 PM

Answers

• User12211 posted

That depends entirely on Apple. Some apps continue to work for a version or two, some don't. There is no way to guarantee your app will continue to work because Apple is allowed to make breaking changes and developers just have to deal with them.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:56 PM
  • User65389 posted

@JakobJensen @DaveHunt has (unfortunately :disappointed:) wrote it correct. And.. this is also true for the other platforms (Android and Windows Phone). How long you can leave an app (untouched) in a store, depends on what the platform owner does.. A good example is iOS 9 right now. Xamarin says, that all users have to update to the latest Aamarin.iOS, as else, the app may crash, if Apple release iOS9. So to fix this, should be easy, but you need a license... The same - I think - will happen in the near future with Windows (Phone) 10 and .. who knows... maybe also on the Android platform... :smirk:
    So... If the platform owners would freeze their OS and you have a working app, you don't need a subscription... but... unfortunately this is not the real life :sunglasses:
    So in real live you have to have a subscription as long as you want to have an productive (and working) app :blush:

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:31 PM

All replies

• User12211 posted

If the new iOS version requires you to use a new version of the iOS SDK (which is pretty much all the time), then you would, in all likelihood, need a new version of Xamarin that supports that SDK version. So, yes, you have to pay 999 to fix the error.

In the rare cases where the problem can be fixed by code changes using the old version of the SDK, and Apple isn't yet requiring apps to be built with the new SDK, then you would not have to pay.

The trouble is that Apple doesn't generally let you submit new apps or update existing apps using an older SDK for very long after a new SDK is released.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:45 PM
  • User54537 posted

So a xamarin app only "last" on version of iOS? So for every new version 9, 10, 11 etc you need a new? Or is it possible to make a app and dont have to Update that app every version? Or only if theres new features

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:52 PM
  • User12211 posted

That depends entirely on Apple. Some apps continue to work for a version or two, some don't. There is no way to guarantee your app will continue to work because Apple is allowed to make breaking changes and developers just have to deal with them.

Thursday, August 20, 2015 7:56 PM
  • User65389 posted

@JakobJensen @DaveHunt has (unfortunately :disappointed:) wrote it correct. And.. this is also true for the other platforms (Android and Windows Phone). How long you can leave an app (untouched) in a store, depends on what the platform owner does.. A good example is iOS 9 right now. Xamarin says, that all users have to update to the latest Aamarin.iOS, as else, the app may crash, if Apple release iOS9. So to fix this, should be easy, but you need a license... The same - I think - will happen in the near future with Windows (Phone) 10 and .. who knows... maybe also on the Android platform... :smirk:
    So... If the platform owners would freeze their OS and you have a working app, you don't need a subscription... but... unfortunately this is not the real life :sunglasses:
    So in real live you have to have a subscription as long as you want to have an productive (and working) app :blush:

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 7:31 PM
  • User30946 posted

As mentioned, it depends on what the new updates bring to the platforms. If a new OS release comes out that introduces some form of incompatibility, then your app would need to be updated.

A good example of this is Apples recent requirement to have all apps include 64-bit support, which went fully live in June for all new and previously updated apps to my knowledge. If you had released your app before that point, and did not update your Xamarin license, your app would have been rejected from Apple for not having 64-bit support and you would need to renew your license to update your app and republish it.

Otherwise, you are free to leave your app on the store and it should be fine, assuming no breaking changes are released. We are all at the mercy of what Apple/Google decide to require with each software update.

Thursday, August 27, 2015 9:50 PM