SQL 2008 and HSM/EKM providers RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to locate a vendor who supplies a solution that integrates in the 2008 using the new mechanisms provided for by Microsoft, but have had no luck finding any.  Has any one heard of a company.  Thanks.
    Friday, October 10, 2008 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

Currently no vendors are shipping a EKM provider for SQL 2008.  Several companies are working on providers and a few of them are in the final stages of developement but they have asked us (Microsoft) not to pre announce who they are.

Sorry there isn't anything in the market yet.  I expect this will change in the next couple of months.

Regards,

-Steven Gott

SDE/T

SQL Server

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Currently no vendors are shipping a EKM provider for SQL 2008.  Several companies are working on providers and a few of them are in the final stages of developement but they have asked us (Microsoft) not to pre announce who they are.

Sorry there isn't anything in the market yet.  I expect this will change in the next couple of months.

Regards,

-Steven Gott

SDE/T

SQL Server

Friday, October 10, 2008 5:16 PM
  • The Luna HSM from SafeNet now supports SQL 2008.

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:45 PM
  • The nCipher range from Thales supports SQL 08. It also supports Oracle 11g if you run both DB's.
    • Proposed as answer by laurieh09 Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:24 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 8:24 AM
  • I'm curious... what is a "ball park" figure for the cost of this type of hardware? >$20K? <$20K?
    Friday, April 23, 2010 8:54 PM
  • Wrote a blog about transparent data encryption (TDE) and how it supports EKM/HSM.

http://derek858.blogspot.com/2010/07/sql-2008-r2-transparent-data-encryption.html

Thursday, July 8, 2010 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

i want to encrypt my DEK by an asymmetric key from EKM.. how can i do to use EKM ? HSM ? am i obligated to buy an HSM to do this ?

before configuring EKM in TDE .. i need to have EKM provider ? how can i do to install one ?

Please help

Thank you

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 11:14 AM